ForumsQuestionsRules for synching

Rules for synching
jeffsa1

Posted: Oct 19, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
When I synch from my Iphone I get a warning that my Iphone will overwrite the info on toodledo.com.
What would happen in this situation: I forget that I made some entries last night and go ahead synch from my iphone, overwriting more current data. Is it gone forever?
Purveyor

Which iPhone app are you using?
The official Toodledo app does not have that warning.
See: http://www.toodledo.com/info/iphone.php
jeffsa1

I've got an IPhone4.
When I synch from my Iphone I get this message:

Confirm
All tasks on this device will be slowly forced down to Toodledo.com potentially overwriting changes you have made on the website.......
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 20, 2011
That warning happens when you are pressing one of the "Force Sync" buttons. You don't have to do this normally. Just use the regular sync button in the top corner of the setting section, or better yet, turn on auto-syncing and it will do it magically in the background.
jeffsa1

I originally used the sync button but I was getting the .com tasks added to the tasks already on my Iphone, giving me hundreds of duplicates.
I posted a query on this forum and was advised to 'force synch'.
Except for the duplicates I'd prefer to use the synch.
Purveyor

Maybe it's because you are using an iPhone 4 ...
Just kidding.

The "Force Sync" is a one-time option if, for some strange reason, there's a problem syncing. Afterwards, just use "Sync". Have you tried "Sync" lately?

I've been using Toodledo for more than three years and the only problems I've ever had with syncing were when I used a third-party app. Never a problem with the official Toodledo app.

In any case, if you are still worried about getting duplicates, you can backup your data on the website by using this: http://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php, and restore if there's a problem with the sync.

And, you can always delete all tasks created on a particular day by using a Search and Multi-Edit: http://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php

This message was edited Oct 20, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Actually, the forced syncing is more likely to cause duplicates than the regular syncing, since with forced syncing, it sends every task to the website. With regular syncing it only sends the changes.
jeffsa1

Thanks.
I just tried synch and it worked fine, no dupes.
One more question, are there published rules for synching?
ie: what if I synch after a task has been changed on both Iphone and .com?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 21, 2011
If you change a task on both the iPhone and the website before syncing, the iPhone's copy will win. In the future, we plan to implement proper conflict resolution, but for now, the iPhone will always overwrite the website if there is a tie.
jeffsa1

Posted: Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for your continuing excellent support.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.