ForumsQuestionsSort by date

Sort by date
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 09, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Hi,

When tasks are sorted by due date, those that have a due time sort higher than those with no due time.

I think it should be the other way around, i.e. tasks with no due time should be highest on the list as they are a bit like all-day calendar events.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 10, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
You know that you can change this by selecting the Reverse sort order in the Filters dialog don't you?
PeterW 

Yes, but then any tasks that have a due date and a due time are reversed which is not what I want. I want the tasks with no due time first and then tasks with due time sorted earliest first.
Scott

Score: -1 Reference
I disagree - those with a time should be given priority as they have an absolute time they are due - the others being less critical / not on as much of a deadline as they have until end of day.
PeterW 

That doesn't work if the tasks that have a due time are scheduled for the evening and the tasks that you want to get done during the day have no due time set.

Calendars work the way I want to see tasks sorted in Toodledo... all-day events are grouped at the top and time-based events are under them in order of their due time.

Toodledo's sort should match the way a calendar works.
Folke X

I agree that there should perhaps be a user option for this, but I remember having this problem all the time maybe 10 years ago (in some other system), and I couldn't find a way to satisfy my needs either way. It turned out that I needed additional differentiators, because some of the "untimed" tasks I wanted to have first and some last. But maybe my memory fails me. Anyway, now I never sort by due date. I select (search) by due date and status etc and sort by something else, say status or project (goal) etc. to keep my "Today" list in a reasonably neat order.

What I would like to take the opportunity to say at this point, though, is that this particular problem is just one of many that could easily be solved if Toodledo would choose to implement a mechanism that I have suggested a few times already here in this forum:

Solution: Searches with custom dividers (custom list sections), where each section could be given its own search criteria and its own sort critera.

In your particular case, then, the solution for your "Today" list would perhaps look something like this:

1) first section:

divider text (section title) = "Anytime today"
sort order = Priority (or whatever you like)
selection criteria:
due time doesn't exist AND due date is before tomorrow OR Starred Yes etc etc (selection criteria as usual)

2) second section:

divider text (section title) = "Appointments etc"
sort order = Due date
selection criteria:
due time exists AND due date is today etc etc (selection criteria as usual)

To me this seems like such a powerful and useful mechanism, and like such a small and natural extension to what Toodledo already is, that I am a bit surprised that Toodledo does not implement this as soon as possible to face all those competitors who have drag-and-drop sorting of their lists already implemented.

(Drag-and-drop sorting is probably "impossible" for Toodledo to implement given the fact that Toodledo's menu system - lots of built-in standard lists and unlimited saved searches - is so large that the total number of such manual sorting sequences would then also be large and unwieldy both for the system and for the user. Or am I wrong? Otherwise, manual drag-and-drop sorting obviously is also a powerful alternative, which would allow you to even move some of the "untimed" tasks in between the fixed appointments, which is definitely very realistic and "tasty".)

This message was edited Nov 11, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 12, 2011
Yes, I hadn't thought of that. A simple drag-and-drop sort would suit me just fine. I'd only use it on my Hotlist (saved search) but it would be great. Appigo Todo Online does it, and so does Nirvana. Unfortunately both are missing other stuff that I need. <sigh>
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.