ForumsQuestionsCascading/nested contexts

Cascading/nested contexts
jonathantullett

Posted: Dec 15, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

I joined Toodledo today and it appears to support most of my needs. One feature I'm looking for, however, I can't seem to find so I thought I'd ask.

Is it possible to view tasks by cascading (nested) contexts?

As an example, I'm looking to have the following contexts set up:
Work
Work / Online
Work / Email
Work / Phone
Work / Boss
Home
Home / Online
Home / Email
etc

I'd like, on the contexts view, to be able to click on the single 'Work' or 'Home' header, and see all tasks assigned to sub-contexts (so clicking on 'Work' will show 'Work / Online', 'Work / Email', etc). I've tried different dividers - '/', '-', ':', '::', but none seem to be working.

As a former user of OmniFocus who now needs multi-platform support, this feature would be great and would definitely have me purchasing the pro account for myself.

Can anyone advise on whether it's possible, or how I could perhaps do a similar thing?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Jonathan.
jonathantullett

By creating a search which matches on the specific contexts I want, I've been able to get this working almost as specified as above.

As it requires exact matching on the contexts, if I add a new subcontext - e.g. 'Work :: Training', I need to manually update the search (error prone).

If there's a generic way of having this done automagically, that would be great.

Any ideas?
Folke X

Nested contexts and tags would be useful, but they are not implemented as such.

What I have done instead is I have chosen to use Tags, as these have more varieties of search critera available, and then I have my searches include the line "Tag contains Work".

This message was edited Dec 15, 2011.
alexandremrj_2

Score: 1 Reference
There is an easier way to do it,

enable locations - and set one as Work and one as Home. This way you can sort by context when viewing one location.
jonathantullett

Posted: Dec 20, 2011
Posted by alexandremrj:
enable locations - and set one as Work and one as Home. This way you can sort by context when viewing one location.

That, Sir, is genius!

Enabled. Perfect. Thank you!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.