ForumsQuestionsWanted: Number Field For Even Better Sorting

Wanted: Number Field For Even Better Sorting
proactive

Posted: Jan 03, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
What I want:

a field that contains numbers only.

Why I want it:

I want the next thing I should work on listed first, and the next thing I should work on listed second, and so on. I want to be able to control the order of my to do's without having to employ a silly work around.

Some tasks have the same priority and ranking. But I may want to do one before another. A simple number field could allow a user to better control the order of to do's.

Background:

Charles Hobbs (a leader in time management) suggested the ABC (for priority) and 123 (for order) approach for writing to do lists. A task ranked "A-1" should be done before a task ranked "A-2" or "B-1" etc.

toodledo's algorithm could be modified to include a calculated field that combines priority and number.

This would greatly enhance the user experience.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
You could use the tag field for this if you don't already use tags.
proactive

Posted by Toodledo:
You could use the tag field for this if you don't already use tags.

Thanks for responding, but please note this comment in the original post: "I want to be able to control the order of my to do's without having to employ a silly work around."

Using tags would be a work around and deprive me of the intended use of tags.

Moreover, I doubt tag fields weighted in the algorithm in such a way as to cause the auto-sort to automatically put a task with tag "1" ahead of one with tag "2." I doubt it because tags were created for "grouping" tasks, not sorting them.

And please understand, toodledo is a great product. I'm just trying to make it even better.

Adding a number field to a database should be relatively easy and gives users an intuitive and fast way to rearrange the order of tasks.

Thanks.
PeterW 

I'd like a way to manually sort tasks but would prefer a simple drag & drop approach (as can be done now with subtasks) rather than have to set a number field.
glparke

Posted: Jan 04, 2012
A work around that I am doing is just to actually name the task with the preceding Letter / Number and then sort by name. works ok, and it keeps your tags free.
Joyce

Posted: Jan 05, 2012
I agree about not wanting to use a work around, although what I've done is to number my contexts 1, 2, 3, and then the tasks a 1a 1b and so fort, they appear in order that way using the alphabetic sort.
russ.daniel

Posted: Jan 07, 2012
I'd alos love a number field - would allow me to put a dollar figure in that would allow me to better prioritize my tasks and summarize results.
gwpeterson

Posted: Jan 27, 2012
I've 'grown up' in the Outlook world and started using it in 1997. For tasks, Outlook is just about the most robust product around. But, with all of the mobile devices, Toodledo is THE BEST software to sync to Outlook. And I've tried them all.

It would be nice to have the ability to prioritize by number. However, using alpha-numeric subjects helps. I know it's not the best solution, but it works.

I manage 3 separate locations, plus a 4th office location and sorting my tasks is insane. Toodledo has made this much easier and having to use a little work around is not that big of a deal for me.

G

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.