ForumsQuestionsSubscribing with iCal gone haywire

Subscribing with iCal gone haywire
wuulfgarpim

Posted: Jan 09, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I have Mac OS X Lion, iCloud, and an iPad2. I subscribe to ToodleDo in iCal on Lion using the Combo URL. This morning, I had everything appearing in iCal on the iPad2, but only some things appearing in iCal on Lion. After fiddling about, including resubscribing to the Combo URL in iCal on Lion, I now only see tasks from 3 of my many folders in iCal on Lion. The location is set to iCloud (I tried On My Mac as well).

I had lost all ToodleDo tasks in iCal on the iPad2, but now they're there again (under Show Calendars, I have ToodleDo iCal under my iCloud account name). There's also a Toodledo iCal[iCloud account name] entry under On My iPad, but that reveals some duplicates and old items so I don't select it.

I use 2Do on the iPad because I like their inclusion of a calendar with dots to indicate days with tasks when in landscape view. Seeing tasks in iCal is just icing. However, I'd really like to see my ToodleDo tasks in a calendar on my Macbook and iCal isn't cutting it. I can't find anything that would allow me to cleanly sync with Outlook on the Mac (besides, I use Mail.app for mail).

Why is it that I can see everything in iCal on iPad2, but only 3 folders worth in iCal on Lion? Is there no clean way to integrate ToodleDo tasks with a calendar app on the Mac?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I do not know why this is happening since the iPad and the Mac are using the exact same data source from our website to populate their calendar. The only thing that I can think of is that when you subscribed on your mac, you clicked the "remove to-do items" checkbox, which would have caused only tasks with due-dates to appear and all others to be removed.
wuulfgarpim

I had already ensured none of the "Remove" items were selected, so I knew that wasn't it.

*face palm*. No, it's worse than that.
iCal on Lion: Select "Show All Day Events". Voila. I didn't realize tasks in Toodledo were all day events nor did I realize that was deselected in iCal.

However, I still have a strange issue with updating things in iCal - anywhere. I moved an item scheduled for yesterday to today, and an item scheduled for today to Friday and those changes are reflected in 2Do on the iPad2 and on Toodledo.com. However, I can't seem to get those changes reflected in iCal on either Lion or iPad2. I'm still investigating, even though I've manually refreshed everything everywhere. UPDATE ON EDIT: actually, the changes are reflected in iCal on Lion. Just not on the iPad2 yet.

This message was edited Jan 09, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You probably just need to refresh the calendar. You may have it set to "manual" or with a longer interval like "8 hours".
wuulfgarpim

I have refreshed the calendar. On Lion, the subscribed calendar is set to autorefresh every hour. On the iPad2, I can refresh iCal til my fingers are numb and no changes are appearing.

I click Sync in iTunes on Lion. On the iPad2, in iCal, I press Calendars and then the sync button next to Show Calendars. It doesn't refresh. I even added a new item in Toodledo that appears in iCal on Lion. I just can't get changes or new items to appear in iCal on the iPad2.

This is definitely something wrong with iCal or iCloud and not Toodledo.
wuulfgarpim

By the way, I also have a 4th gen iPod Touch with iCloud and the latest iOS. It, too, only has the Toodledo subscribed items at the time of the subscription and no updated changes. I read on Apple's support forums that you can't add subscribed calendars to iOS and have updates appear; I didn't do that. I added the Toodledo Combo URL to subscribe in iCal on Lion. It's just that no updates are being pushed to iCal on the iOS devices even though they are appearing in iCal on Lion just fine.

I'm sure if I remove and resubscribe to the combo URL I'll get the latest, but I shouldn't have to do that. I guess this'll just have to do for now. At least my tasks are appearing in iCal on Lion.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
it must be an iCloud issue. I am sorry that there isnt something that we can do.
wuulfgarpim

HOLY CRAP! I got it!!!!
Turns out subscribing for iCal on Lion works out as expected and the Toodledo calendar appears under Calendars/Subscriptions. When I make changes in Toodledo, iCal on Lion picks up those changes on the next automated refresh, or when you manually right click the calendar name and select refresh.

On iOS, it's a little different, so here's how (thanks to the iPhone User Guide for iOS 5.0):
Subscribe to a calendar: Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, then tap Add Account. Tap Other, then tap Add Subscribed Calendar.

NOTE: Remember, of course, to use the URL for Combo when adding it.
So it's a centralized thing rather than hoping stuff comes through in an iCal data sync. Very cool. I just did a test with deleting a task at toodledo.com and then doing a refresh in iCal on the iPad2. Poof. That task disappeared and all other tasks are there because now the Toodledo calendar is a central subscription!

I hope this helps anyone else who stumbles upon this topic.
By the way, I went ahead and included my toodledo credentials when I added the subscription as an account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. You may not need it. It's working now, for me, so I'm leaving it as is.

This message was edited Jan 09, 2012.
wuulfgarpim

I tried adding the subscription on Lion in Settings, and it wouldn't connect. So it's the regular way in iCal after all. To keep things cleaner, though, I selected to maintain the data On My Mac and I named it something to identify it as for Lion only.

So again: for Lion, subscribe in iCal and select On My Mac.
For iOS, subscribe in Settings. Toodledo tasks will make their way to all the iCals (desktop Lion, iPod Touch, and iPad2), including with changes.

Of course, you can't make changes to tasks in iCal and expect those changes to make their way back to ToodleDo.com, but then whaddaya want, everything?
kazaan

Posted: Apr 12, 2012
My issue is a little different and i am hoping I'll get some help here. Maybe i've set up a weekly repeating event wrongly in toodledo, its showing up on my ical 1. everyday 2> 3 times a day 3> forever!! as an all day event!!!

So now this event is pushing out all the other scheduled events and its sickening to look at my iphone calendar :-( Deleting the event in toodledo and syncing doesnt help. Is there anyway to mass delete all future occurances of an event in iphone?

Iphone4 iOS5 also have toodledo iphone app installed.

Will appreciate any help. Thanks in advance...

This message was edited Apr 12, 2012.
Salgud

TD doesn't create "events", it can only create tasks, so it must be some other app creating those all day events in your calendar.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Can you please create a support ticket and attach a screenshot that shows the problem event. Also, please tell us the exact due-date,start-date, due-time, start-time and repeat settings that you have set on this website for that task so that we can try to reproduce it.
laralyn_1317055091

Posted: May 02, 2012
I'm having the same problem. I made a bunch of recurring tasks in ToodleDo web, synced to PC, and now want to delete them. They're gone for ToodleDo (both web and phone) but my calendar on the iPhone still shows them and there is no option to delete or edit them.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 03, 2012
Please create a support ticket and provide us with some information about what is missing. Do you sync with 3rd party apps, etc. Screenshots can be very helpful for us.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.