ForumsQuestionsQuickly add a todo item to your inbox

Quickly add a todo item to your inbox
g.stoel

Posted: Jan 25, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi there,

I was wondering how you Toodledoers out there are quickly adding tasks to Toodledo?

Do you always have your browser window open?
Do you send emails to Toodledo?
Do you have some 3rd party app for that?

Why? I would like to be able to quickly add todos during meetings, or when at my desk without thinking (that will start when I browse my inbox).

I do use a mac at home and a windows pc at work (with Launchy). Any tips and tricks how to quickly add tasks on these platforms?

Thanks,

Geoffrey
Scott

Posted: Jan 25, 2012
I still use ToodleAir which basically gives you a command line box to enter tasks on the fly. I'm on a Mac but it's an AIR app so it should work on either platform. It uses the same syntax as email so you can put in all the details you need right from the one line. It sits right on my desktop and I can just zip tasks in as they occur to me.

I do keep Toodledo open in a browser pretty much always but this is a super easy way to add things quickly.

It's not being updated so it could stop working at any time I guess, but it still works well for what I need.

https://github.com/jgallen23/ToodleAir/downloads

sb
Salgud

Posted: Jan 26, 2012
I keep TD open in my browser 24/7 at home and at work, so I just add new tasks there. Nothing can be much quicker - it's always 3 clicks away (select browser, select tab, click on Quick Add box). I guess for those who hate GUIs, and want to operate strictly from the keyboard, this process is glacial! :) I spent too many years with DOS to want to go back.
Scott

One of the nice things about something like ToodleAir is that it is compact and can sit above a browser tab or another window so I can see the details of the source of the new task while I am adding it. If I move to the Toodledo site I lose that visibility unless I start rearranging windows.

There is also the benefit of not seeing my todo list while I am entering the new task which can very quickly derail me from whatever it is that I was working on. This lets me add new items without facing a distraction from tasks already entered.

I certainly don't hate GUI's and I'm not a click counter type of person but with a shortcut key to bring up ToodleAir it's super quick and easy to use and is a good alternative for those who are looking for it.

sb
JPR

I use Launchy as well. I generally have TD open, but I use the slim site to add tasks for exactly the situation you describe. I created a bookmark (indexed with Launchy) called "New Task" that points to:

http://www.toodledo.com/slim/#_add

This gives you a nice clean tab with no other chatter. I'll probably convert it to the new mobile site.

http://m.toodledo.com/#addTask
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.