kq6ra

Posted: Feb 01, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I've been wondering this as well.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 02, 2012
Firefox updates very frequently now, and every time they do, we need to update our plugin. Its pretty tedious for us, but we will do it by the end of the week.
jesus

Posted: Feb 02, 2012
Thanks! I don't understand why they update so often to major versions. But I do use the Plugin extensively.
kq6ra

Posted: Feb 07, 2012
Any update on this?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 08, 2012
We updated our addon for Firefox 10 last week. You can update from within Firefox or get it here: http://www.toodledo.com/widget/firefox_plugin.php
piyush_soni

With this new system of frequent updates, we should also realize that they don't change anything radical in each subsequent version that break your add-on. The add-on is pretty basic in terms of use of browser features. So as I suggested a few months back, it won't harm at all if you update it next time to Firefox 14 for example. It will be better than breaking the add-on anyway for a week every time they update the version number.

Even Mozilla is changing its strategy to be the same : assuming add-ons are compatible by default when the version changes, and not the other way round. (Read here: http://hothardware.com/News/Raging-Over-Firefoxs-Rapid-Release-Schedule-Mozilla-Hears-You/). According to this page, the addons installed from Mozilla's official website might not suffer from this problem. I suggest having just one source for installing Toodledo add-on (Mozilla), as you do for the iPhone app which also needs approval.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Unfortunately, Firefox does not allow you to set the version number multiple versions ahead. It gives an error when trying to do so, so we will need to keep updating it each time that Firefox updates it. The addon hosted on Mozilla is automatically updated, unfortunately, Mozilla has a very slow approval process, so the addon listed on mozilla is sometimes several versions behind the up-to-date version that we always have on this website. The version on this website will need to be updated every 6 weeks until Firefox allows plugins to be compatible by default when they update.
piyush_soni

Posted: Feb 12, 2012
You mean Mozilla doesn't allow you to upload an add-on multiple versions ahead, or "Firefox" doesn't just allow you to create an add-on like that (and just upload on your own website?) I just tried changing the maxversion to 15.* in your add-on, and installed in my latest Firefox. Working perfectly. (You already had it set to 11.*)

So if Mozilla hosted add-ons won't have this problem of add-on compatibility anyway, and you can always upload your own xpi having upto 15.*, the problem will be gone for a long time.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 12, 2012
I think that this may have changed recently. In prior versions of firefox, a future version was causing the addon to be not loaded. This is a nice change.
kq6ra

Posted: Feb 13, 2012
It seems with each Firefox update Toodledo is only of my only extensions that breaks with very update. What do other extensions do to stay compatible? Why does Toodledo always have issues?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 13, 2012
The other extension are probably hosted by Firefox. We host our addon ourselves, which means that we need to update it ourselves.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.