ForumsQuestionsUnderstanding "Status" usage options

Understanding "Status" usage options
BJones_3

Posted: Feb 15, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I know that this might sound like I'm a little behind the curve on this subject, but can someone help me understand how the current "Status" options are supposed to work? In particular, "Next Action", "Active", and "Planning". Maybe it's obvious to some, but I'm new to TD and so I'm still trying to figure out the best ways to use the available features, and then "Status" descriptions given in the "Help" section are still not very clear to me.

Thanks,
Brian
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is nothing special about the status labels. You can use them for whatever purpose seems appropriate for you. Most people who use Status will use "Next Action" to refer to tasks that are next on the list.

The only thing that matters is that the last 7 statuses are considered to be "deferred" which means that you can hide them with the "hide deferred status" filter.
BJones_3

Thanks for the quick response.

I still need some further explanation on the suggested usage of "Next Action" vs "Active" vs "Planning". Maybe an example would help.

Thanks,

Brian
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You can use the status labels however seems most logical for you. They are just labels and don't have any extra meaning. Personally, I dont use the status field, so I may not be the best person to ask. I'll let someone else answer.
Salgud

I use "Planning" strictly for templates, parent tasks and subtasks that are used to create frequently done series of tasks. E.g., the steps to set up a meeting, or the ones I use to pull a series of data that are the same each time. By giving them "Planning" status, I can filter them out of my views of "Active" tasks so they don't add clutter.

I use "Active" for any task that I could be doing now or will be doing when another is complete, like in those sequences of subtasks. Unfortunately, I have way more of these than I can do, so I use "Next Action" for tasks that I plan to do soon. For me, it's a filtering process of reducing the total number of tasks I could be working on to prioritize what I'm going to do today.

Of course, others use these in totally different ways, and many choose not to use Status at all. It's why TD is so powerful and takes a while to get your head around.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012.
BJones_3

Salgud, thanks for the great explanation. I think I might defer the usage of Status until down the road. Without the ability to associate various task dependencies, I don't see a convenient way to use the Status feature.

Brian
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.