ForumsQuestionsHow to get low priority tasks into hotlist?

How to get low priority tasks into hotlist?
hm

Posted: Feb 22, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Is there a way to show low priority tasks in the hotlist? Mine shows only medium or higher.
Salgud

Increase their priority.
Purveyor

Yes, go to Main, All Tasks ... ;)

The minimum priority for the Hotlist is "Medium".
Folke X

Or create a saved search that shows exactly what you intended to show in the first place.
PeterW 

Saved searched are good for this type of thing. I could have happily lived on the search page all the time except that there are no task counts displayed. I found that I really relied on them for at-a-glance info.

I really like having a dual task count, e.g. overdue/total number.
Purveyor

Yeah, a saved Search would work but which tasks do you want to display?

The Hotlist filters on three things: Priority, Due Date (within a number of days), and Starred.

hm wants to include all tasks, regardless of priority. (Tasks with negative priority can be hidden in any view.) That leaves Due Date and Starred. There are already predefined views that filter on these fields, and perhaps one of these will do the job. But, there isn't a view that combines both.

So, the Search could be "Due Date is in the next __ days", OR "Starred = Yes".

Or, just assign a higher priority to those tasks that you want on the Hotlist. But, perhaps hm is using Priority in a peculiar way.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012.
hm

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Why is there an arbitrary limitation to a minimum priority of "Medium"? This doesn't make sense to me.
I could create a saved search but I can't see a way to bookmark that search.
Purveyor

Posted by hm:
Why is there an arbitrary limitation to a minimum priority of "Medium"?
Because it is a "Hotlist", which means that there is something special about the tasks in that list. Priority is an obvious field for selecting tasks that are special or more important. If you want to ignore Priority when selecting tasks, you can view "All Tasks".

How do you use Priority, and which tasks do you want to be displayed in your Hotlist?
hm

The main distinguishing feature of the hot list to me is that it has a separate link on the web page. So it's easy to access it quickly. With a saved search I would have to click several times to get to it. If you know how to set up a saved search that I can bookmark to get to in one click I would be glad to hear about it.

I simply want to see all tasks that
- have started today or earlier
- don't have a start date

The number of possible values for priority is already restricted (I would prefer 1-99) so I like to use all of the available values instead of medium or higher.

I have no problem with you wanting to see only medium or higher priority tasks and it's great that you can set it up that way. I simply don't understand why they don't allow me to see low priority in the hotlist. It would work great for me (and I guess other people too) and wouldn't be a problem for other people.
Purveyor

The Hotlist is not a separate link. "Main" is a separate link: http://www.toodledo.com/tasks/index.php#main

Toodledo remembers what you last viewed in Main. If it was Hotlist, then that's where the link will take you.

Likewise, this is the link for Search: http://www.toodledo.com/tasks/index.php#search
(It shows up in your Address bar.)

If you define and save a Search and then go to it, Toodledo will remember your choice and go to it the next time that you go to Search.

Also, you can specify your default view in Settings:
http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=7

This means that every time you go to Toodledo, you will go to that View, even if you access Toodledo by using www.toodledo.com.
I simply don't understand why they don't allow me to see low priority in the hotlist.
Because "low priority" is not "hot". ;)

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012.
hm

Since when is "medium priority" "hot", my friend :-) ?

Folke X

hm

Like Purveyor says, you can define in Settings that Search will be your default starting place when you open Toodledo. This means you will have all your saved searches ready in a list on the left side - one click away.

You probably want even more saved searches than just this one. Many users (including me) "live" entirely within Search, with custom lists for everything. Convenient.

hm

Saved searches seem the way to go.

Although I still don't understand why they have that restriction in the hotlist
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The hotlist was designed to show you the most important tasks on your list. If it allowed you to go down to "low priority" then it wouldn't be any different from the "All Tasks" list. S

It sounds like you just want to look at "All tasks"
hm

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Posted by Toodledo:
The hotlist was designed to show you the most important tasks on your list. If it allowed you to go down to "low priority" then it wouldn't be any different from the "All Tasks" list. S

It sounds like you just want to look at "All tasks"

"All tasks" shows everything regardless of due date or start date. To me the hot list is whatever is due today or has started.

Why are medium priority tasks considered part of the most important tasks? I have no problems with that but I hope you will admit that it's an arbitrary decision that might not fit for everybody.
Salgud

Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Ambling over, kicking the horse...
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.