ForumsQuestionsOffline options?

Offline options?
mbatt

Posted: Feb 23, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, I know there is a page with suggested 3rd party tools, but they page does not clearly indicate which tools can be used for offline access. I went to the home page for a couple tools to see if I could figure it out on my own, but it was too difficult.

So - what do you all actually use for offline access? I would need to at least be able to view and store offline, and I would LOVE to be able to work offline and then sync back to ToodleDo. I can do this with either Windows or Android, whichever has the best option.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I saw the new mobile site mentioned as an "offline" option, but how can that be since it's a web site? How would I be able to access it if I'm out of 3G or Wifi range?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 24, 2012
Our new mobile website can work offline http://m.toodledo.com It it smart enough to know when you don't have a connection and will queue up changes until you connect again. Just visit the site once when online and then bookmark it to return to when you are offline.
PeterW 

Go to the third-party forum here (last one displayed) and search for the following:

TaskUnifier
TaskAngel
Due Today

All are Windows apps that can sync with Toodledo so are offline solutions.
jimb_63

I am struggling to get the offline functionality of the new beta version to work. When I am offline tasks are not picked up and I am asked to go back on line. Tasks do pick up sometimes (if I don't sign out when online?) but when I add a new task it reverts back to saying that there are no tasks available. Is there something I am doing wrong? Using a windows based laptop and firefox. I have been waiting for this offline functionality for a while - it will greatly increase the versatility of Toodledo if it works well. Thx
mbatt

Thanks for the info and quick responses.

I will try the mobile site - I will be interested in how it works. One question: If I'm out of range and then pull up the mobile site, what will come up? Is the database stored on my phone somewhere?

Thank you so much PeterW - this was the info I needed. Now I can research these 3 and see what will work best for me.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The database is stored on your phone. If you have connected once while online, it will be there when you are offline. If you are having trouble with it displaying information when offline, please create a support ticket with some additional details so that we can investigate and find out what is going wrong.
Torysch

When I go to m.toodledo.com on my iPod Touch it gives me a warning message: "...Unpredictable things could happen..." which is somewhat scaring me... Would you mind further explaining the risk?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It is a beta product, so it could have bugs. It may not display all of the tasks, or it may display the wrong tasks in the wrong places. It may refuse to add a task, or make changes. We have take great precaution to make sure that your data will not get corrupted, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just be aware that it may not do what you want it to do at all times. We are making great strides towards fixing all the bugs and will have this released out of beta soon.
Torysch

Posted: Feb 25, 2012
Ah, cool. Thanks! Better to leave a warning and have nothing happen than the other way around. :)
jzohrab

Posted: Mar 08, 2012
The offline version looks really promising, thanks. I have a few questions:

- is the recommended pattern of usage to connect to the net, open the offline version, let it sync, and then disconnect? Do we reopen the offline version when we reconnect so it can sync up?

- will online and offline sync back and forth? Replication can be tough

- how is the offline data stored? I use an ipad. Cookies? It's browser-only, so it can't store a db or files. It felels like it might be shaky

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 08, 2012
The offline website will need to be opened while you are connected to the internet to sync its changes. This will happen automatically when you open the mobile website while connected. The offline data is stored in a database inside your web browser, so it is persistent. It can be deleted if you clear your cookies, so be careful about that.
jzohrab

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
I found today that there is a toodledo app for ipad. The ipad app looks great. Is that a better tool for offline browsing of tasks? I would rather use an app which i can trust versus an offline website (i'm a software developer myself, and the concept of an offline site just feels wrong!).

Thanks for a great product.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 09, 2012
The iPad app will work great. It will be better than the offline website because it is a native app.
edwardu

Posted: Mar 10, 2012
On Windows Phone 7 the mobile site hangs at Loading... Just stays there indefinitely after attempting to log in.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are looking into it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
edwardu

No problem. Thanks for the update.
jzohrab

Posted: Mar 17, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I'm using the Toodledo app for my iPad, and it's working great. While it's true that it's not as high-powered as the website (I can't figure out how to do custom searches as are on the site), it has the "starred" and "hotlist" quicklists, and syncs with the site when you have a connection. It also appears to support subtasks, though I don't have a pro account yet.

It's only a couple of bucks, so for people looking for a quick offline tool for their iPad, I'd recommend looking into it. For me, it's suffices, though as I get more fluent in GTD I may change.

Check out the iPad app at the app store. No, this is not a paid announcement, I'm not affiliated with Toodledo. :-P
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.