ForumsQuestionsEditing Multiple Tasks - Without a Search

Editing Multiple Tasks - Without a Search
ablank

Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Score: 3 Reference
I really would like the multi edit thing too. I think good ways would be - like here supposed - ctrl + click or via push pin. This would make our lifes much easier...

So +1 for multi edit.
toodledo.member

Posted: Aug 19, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I'm also missing multi-edit without creating a search!

And I would like to have one pin to toggle all selected/not selected (also on the iPhone).

I use this for my grocery shopping: By default all items in the shopping list (folder) are completed. Items to be purchased get changed to not completed. In the store I change view (on my iPhone) to show only not completed items. The multi-edit is used to reset the shopping list
gpzbc

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Score: 3 Reference
I would love multi-edit without a search. The reason why is that I sometimes find myself editing multiple tasks that may not have any identifiable characteristics that are similar.

For example. I am currently trying to implement tags into my todo list. So I am selecting random tasks that I think should all have the same tag. Since a toodledo search can't see any similarities between them, I can't use the multi-edit tool to select them all and tag all of them. Instead, I have to do it one by one.

I like the idea of the "push pin" to select. Or even just a "ctrl-click" seems like it could work.
Thanks!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009.
IceHeartX

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Score: -1 Reference
square checkmarks for completed, round radio-style buttons for multi-item selection.
jpbogers

Posted: Oct 10, 2009
Multi-edit without search would be perfect. This should be very easy! Round and square checkmarks look like a perfect idea!!
Rick

round and square have a history in usability on the web
round = single select (radio button)
square = multi select (checkbox)
This might be confusing when things change

However: the suggestion is great, another solution could do the trick.

I have two other questions/tips...
1) I use subtasks a lot, and as I us them 'flattened' I try to put in front of the tasks an abbreviaton of the 'parent task' so I know wher it belongs when I see the task alone.

The point is, I sometimes forget and have to add the abbreviation to each subtask by hand.
Would it be possible to add somekind of regular-expression edit to the multiedit related to the title of a task?

2) Another one: would it be possible to be able to add a selection of a possible parent task in multi-add?

Thanks in advance!

This message was edited Oct 10, 2009.
Vin Thomas

Or there could just be a multi-edit button that would allow you to use the normal checkmarks, make the changes, then leave multi-edit mode. Sort of like RTM does it, but better or course :)

This message was edited Oct 10, 2009.
gpzbc

I still like the Ctrl-click idea. It is intuitive for most people since Windows uses it to select multiple items in windows explorer.
6xss-ucer

Posted: Oct 23, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've been a long-time RTM user, but desperately wanted a native blackberry client appt. There are so many things to like about TD (ability add/retrieve tasks by email, iGoogle widget, flexible sorting systems, shortcut keys, default views, jott integration, etc.). So much that one could even overlook some things it lacks (autocomplete tags, saveable smart searches)

Lacking multi-edit without search, IMO, is the achilles heal of TD. It requires too much of work to change dates of tasks, change tags, move to different lists - that I cant bring myself to switch.
Anders

Posted: Oct 23, 2009
I agree on the general principle that Toodledo needs multiedit everywhere. However, I don't see how RTM's smart lists are any better than Toodledo's saved searches. If anything, Toodledo's are more powerful. It's just a shame they are the only place multiedit does work currently.
canjecricketer

Posted: Oct 28, 2009
Brand new Toodledo user. Loving it really, but I agree that simple multi-edit is for me a MUST feature. It's especially a barrier for new users importing data. And honestly, this seems like it would be a ridiculously easy feature to implement. The lack of features like this is what screams "web app". Imagine trying to use an email client that didn't allow you to mass edit... Ctrl-Click would be awesome.
Please add this Toodledo! It really can't be very difficult compared to all of the other cool stuff you've managed to work into this.
sconstan

Posted: Jan 08, 2010
I agree with everyone else.
Definitely need a way to create custom searches and make multi-task edits.
I also am moving from RTM to ToodleDo and this is the one thing that frustrates me the most.

TD Pro user.

Athens, Greece.
garyo

Posted: Jan 08, 2010
Bump. Now that so many other features have been added (e.g. subtask sorting), this has become #1 on my wish list.
(longtime Pro user)
steve.fosdick

Posted: Jan 09, 2010
In my other thread I mentioned some things I noticed looking at ToodleDo with a view to migrating from RTM and Multi-Edit was one thing I was going to mention until I discovered it can be done via a search.

I haven't tried it yet though and I do think the people above have a point about being able to pick an eclectic set of tasks to receive the same edit.
ines.carvalho

Posted: Feb 13, 2010
The fact that Toodledo is better than RTM is no excuse for not allowing direct multi-editing. This is SO important I'm actually amazed, considering Toodledo is such a comprehensive service (don't mistake me, I'm really hooked to this). Today is the first day of my 1-week trial and the absence of such a feature is making me think twice about becoming a "Pro".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 13, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
eggletv

Posted: Feb 14, 2010
Hello, I've just started using Toodledo in the last week and I LOVE it. However, editing multiple tasks at the same time is a BIG stumbling block and the one thing that makes me reserve recommending this to others. I can't seem to come up with a good search to identify what I want to change, and it's very frustrating. It will be (and has already been) a big waste of time to manually alter many tasks in the same manner.
franklfr

Posted: Mar 11, 2010
I agree ... I often have to change multiple dates - can't figure out how to do it without Search/Multi-Edit (real pain!).

Please fix!
Yodeling School - Loriot

Posted: Mar 20, 2010
Posted by franklfr:
I agree ... I often have to change multiple dates - can't figure out how to do it without Search/Multi-Edit (real pain!).

Please fix!

I really need that feature.
Also, how do you do that with Search/Multi-Edit.
I can search or pull up a folder or context, but how to multi edit?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 20, 2010
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.