ForumsQuestionsContext vs Tags

Context vs Tags
ge.apple

Posted: Feb 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

Can someone explain the differences between a context and tags on Toodledo?

I use tags all the time but wondering when to use contexts?

Thanks

Siva
MikeKDidIt

Posted: Feb 14, 2009
Score: 4 Reference
Hi ge.apple,

There are two big differences to be aware of here in Toodledo:
1) You can filter by Context but not by Tag.
2) Contexts are managed by Toodledo, and Tags are managed by you. By this I mean that Toodledoo has a list of Contexts you can set and rename, but Tags are 100% freeform (no picklist and no way to globally rename a tag).

Context is a GTD concept while Tag is the defacto standard on the web for user-defined categories.

You can assign a tag to a to-do, and Toodledo allows you to view by tag. There isn't a lot more to say about Tags.

There is a lot more to say about Context. I'll give a sneak peek and then you can read a lot more about Contexts in the various GTD books/literature.

The major purpose of Context is to allow you to mark a to do with the name of the context in which you will be when you work the task. If you are at home, why have to look at the to-dos for the office? When you are working in a given context, Toodledo (and other GTD tools) allows you to restrict (filter) viewing to that context.

Some people get creative and use Context for Role or area of interest. It is important to note that Toodledo also allows you to assign a Folder name to each to-do. Think of a folder the way you would a paper filing folder. Example: At work, you might have a folder for projects and for customers.

Toodledo lets you decide what to call your Contexts and Folders. By using contexts and folders wisely, you are able to focus on the things of interest at a given time, and week out the noise of the things that are not in scope. It really doesn't matter as long as you are effective.

Here are a couple of examples of contexts. You could turn some of these into folders if that works best for you. Note that the name of a Context is often prefixed with an "at" sign. For example: @Home, @Office, @Library.

Example #1 - Contexts: @Home, @Office, @Phone, @Computer
Example #2 - Contexts: @Husband, @Dad, @Son, @Brother, @Writer, @Garage, @Basement, @GroceryStore, @Internet, @Printer, @IRSAuditor, @Policeman

Like I said, it all depends on you. The good news is that Toodledo accommodates you regardless of the way you use contexts, tags, and folders.

I hope this helps.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 18, 2009
Score: 3 Reference
Great points.

I am a GTDer and use it for my personal and professional life.

Nothing much to add on context here since it was covered very well. I will share a way I use Tags in conjunction to my work flow.

I use sub-task for projects (Needs Pro Account). With that said, I like to use tags for the sub-task in a project list.

For example. A top level Task that has sub-task is a project. I give the top level task a Project Title and the sub-task are the steps needed to complete this project.

Per GTD, you can't complete a project, only the next task that will move it forward. Once all task are complete the project is also complete.

What I do is use the Tags to label task that belong to a particular Project.

Example: Top Level Task - Design Website
For all my sub-task, I use a tag called "Design Website"

This allows me to filter the task that belong to any Project with the Tags filter at the top of Toodledo.

The context for these task are letting me know what I need to use to complete the task or where I need to be, just like usual. The tags simply allow me to identify Project related task quickly.

Hope that helps. There are many other ways to use Toodledo, so be creative and use what makes sense to you. This is what makes Toodledo so powerful when compared to other similar services.

-Proximo
sventhebrit

Posted: Feb 18, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Example: Top Level Task - Design Website
For all my sub-task, I use a tag called "Design Website"

@Proximo - I like that idea.
Thanks
Steve
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.