ForumsQuestionsMultiple Contexts (Possible Workaround?)

Multiple Contexts (Possible Workaround?)
Ablaze

Posted: Apr 03, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Have there been any updates on the multiple-contexts features?
Unfortunately, this topic is locked:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/4367/0/please-vote-on-this-feature-multiple-contexts-per-task.html

I'm new to Toodledo (and I've only just started reading the GTD book), and I'd like to know how to organize this:

I need to buy something and I could get it both "Store A" and "Store B" - at least I want to look for it there the next time I'm at either store.
It's not important, I just want to make sure I'll remember it when I'm either at "Store A" or "Store B."

I think, being able to assign both contexts would be best here.
How do you guys handle such a thing?

I somehow dislike the concept of tags...

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It is not possible to add multiple contexts right now. This is on our to-do list. In the meantime you will need to use tags is you want to do this,
Ablaze

Thank you for replying so quickly!

The same goes for people I can contact either by email or phone - do people always add two tags "phone" and "email?"
What context would you assign?

What's best practice here?

Thanks! :)
Folke X

I have the impression that most GTDers do not take all the contexts from the book all that literally. It is a lot of work to tag everything with all possibilities. What people do, I think, is define those tags that they actually need in order to be able to filter the list for the more typical real situations in their life.

Errands (or Out or Away or Town or whatever you might call it), is one of those things that the majority seem to have a tag for. It is generally very useful.

Phone, these days, is something you have on every desk around you, plus in your pocket. Usually no need to filter for this, hence no need to have a tag. The same goes for email, computer and many of the other example tags in the book. It depends on your own situation what you need to filter for.

This message was edited Apr 03, 2012.
Dave

Posted: Apr 04, 2012
Agree, I think most folks (myself included for a long time) have way too many contexts. Errands is probably all you need for stuff you need to pick up. If you have more than 30 items from different places (meaning not just a grocery list but many non related items) then maybe you can have more than one errands context. Otherwise just check your Errands list before heading out. It isn't hard to scan 30 items.
Ablaze

Ok thanks, I see your point :)
JPR

Posted by Ablaze:
The same goes for people I can contact either by email or phone - do people always add two tags "phone" and "email?"
What context would you assign?

I recently made a change to my contexts that's working quite well for me. I changed "Call" to "Com", short for communicate. I use it for anything I can do via call, text or quick email. I make the decision on the fly what the best method will be. YMMV.
JPR

Posted by Toodledo:
It is not possible to add multiple contexts right now. This is on our to-do list. In the meantime you will need to use tags is you want to do this,

Please, please make this optional. The mutual exclusivity of the current Context field is a feature for some of us, and adding multiple context capability will inevitably add clicks to our workflow. (See Tag field) Maybe you could add a new field: "Context2" (or "Tag2") with multiple capability?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.