ForumsQuestionsWill recommend ToodleDo once it allows "select/edit multiple"

Will recommend ToodleDo once it allows "select/edit multiple"
critcha

Posted: May 24, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hello ToodleDo team, I teach classes and workshops where I talk about productivity to hundreds of people, many of whom blog with many thousands of readers each.

I currently do not recommend that people use ToodleDo, because Remember The Milk allows easily selecting/editing multiple items at once, and for some reason ToodleDo does not, despite being asked about it multiple times by users in these forums.

So! I will begin recommending ToodleDo to my students/clients en masse IFF you implement this feature and notify me about it!

Note: "easily" does not mean having to design a search query to pick out the handful of tasks I want to multi-edit every time. It means clicking, and ideally, the option of using the keyboard.

... just letting you guys know! Otherwise, great app :)

[ETA: Do you plan to implement this soon?]

This message was edited May 24, 2012.
simon

There are many users on these forum who will tell you all the reasons they gave up on RTM and how TD is so much better. I am one of them. Many would agree that the key to productivity is finding a system that works for the individual. I think it's odd that someone who teaches productivity would boycott one system over another. TD has so many advantages over RTM mainly because of the flexibility it allows even though that requires a degree of involvement from the user. Also, your sign off of 'Otherwise, great app' leads me to assume that you use it and like it. Even more confusing.
JPR

What simon said.

And I would add this. IMHO, if you need to frequently mass edit tasks, either you have a poorly designed productivity system, or you are misusing a good one.

I use the star field for quickly getting items on (and off) my hotlist, AND for the rare time I need to random select/multi-edit, using a saved custom search "Starred is Yes".
mandelmus

Posted: May 25, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
at least add it to the wishlist
colokidster

Posted: Aug 26, 2012
The desire to edit multiple tasks is NOT a sign of a poorly designed productivity system. In fact, it is a sign of using the GTD system efficiently. During the "collection phase" one does not necessarily assign all contexts, dates, tags, etc. I add quick tasks in line at the store or during a meeting, or other times when I don't have time to fully analyze the task. At the end of the day or week, or whenever I review my list, I have a lot of things I added that now need to be detailed. It would be swell to be able to select 10 tasks and click "@home". Just as fast to click "@home" 5 times, you say? Not quite. With the current UI, it takes 3 clicks to assign a context to each task. One to select the task, one to activate the dropdown box, then one to select the context. Many other apps understand and implement the multi-select workflow. A productivity tool should do the same.
JPR

Posted: Aug 26, 2012
Posted by colokidster:
....With the current UI, it takes 3 clicks to assign a context to each task...

Your example of processing the inbox is a valid one. For the record, I would certainly use the multiple select feature if implemented, but I do stand by my original comment in the context of the original post. Without that feature for now, I do have some ideas how you can speed up inbox processing based on your example.

By design, I don't prepend my contexts with "@", and I have each context start with a unique letter. I do this to take advantage of the "type to select" feature that is built into the browser and thus save a lot of clicks. If I want to quickly change 5 tasks in my inbox to "Home" I do this: With my right hand on the mouse, I position a left hand finger on the H key (for 'Home'). I click on the first task context field, and then hit H, then move the mouse to the next task context field, hit H, repeat. For five tasks, I'd bet it's easily faster than using any multi select feature. YMMV.
colokidster

Posted: Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the tip on the unique letters. That does speed things along! But, it doesn't work for every field. Tags don't use the same "type to select" method. And tags and folders can have too many options to make the unique letter feasible. So, I still see valid needs for multi-select and will keep my fingers crossed :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.