ForumsQuestionsSort by due-date but see tasks that CAN be worked on today?

Sort by due-date but see tasks that CAN be worked on today?
jpv2112-s

Posted: Jul 07, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
I typically sort my list by due date, then by importance.

Is there a setting to quickly see items that CAN be worked on today? For example, I have to file quarterly sales tax. It CAN be worked on starting the first of the month, but is due by the end of the month.

In the normal due-date list sorting, this task will not rise to to the top of the list until nearly the end of the month, but I would like to glance at my list and see items that, say, have a start date before today--maybe they can appear as a different color?

That way, if I have some spare time, I can knock out those items early.

Any thoughts on how others have dealt with this standard GTD desire?
daniel_h

Posted: Jul 08, 2012
I use start dates to tell me when a task is "available," or more precisely, when I want to pay attention to the task. While I might adjust the start date for a task a few times as I work on it. Using start dates puts tasks on my hotlist when on the start date.

So for taxes, I would set a start date to the first of the month, and a due date for the end of the month. I typically sort my hotlist by status, importance, and start date. Since importance takes due dates into consideration, I don't need to sort by due date. By using status, I can easily see which tasks are really next actions, and which are "holding," and which I am waiting for someone else before I can move them up. I will typically adjust my start date and status settings as needed for tasks that get delayed (left message for someone and now waiting for him/her to call back), or tasks that I want to promote from hold to next action.

I also set up a few custom searches to see, for instance, what is coming due, or set to be started, tomorrow, in the next week, in the next month. So if I find myself with my hotlist empty, I use the searches to find what is coming up that I can work on.

No system is perfect but this works for me.
jpv2112-s

Posted: Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the "importance" and its magic sorting method---seems to work fine for me (insofar as it's putting the due-soon items at the top and elevating the start-date-passed items).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.