ForumsQuestionsTime 1 hour wrong

Time 1 hour wrong
steve

Posted: Mar 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Just looked at my "Account Settings" > "Your Date / Time" and see it's suddenly 1 hour out? Is this because Daylight Saving Time has started in the US? (I'm in the UK?) I've now corrected my settings - will I need to do this again when British Summer Time starts in the UK?

If the change has been caused by DST, are you able to fix this please so that users in other countries aren't affected?

Thanks.

Steve

This message was edited Mar 08, 2009.
sventhebrit

Posted: Mar 08, 2009
Good catch, I just updated mine too on the website.
Steve
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 09, 2009
Yes, you will need to update your time settings within your account settings whenever your time is adjusted forward or backwards an hour due to whatever plan your government has in place.

We hope to support daylight savings time, British summer time and all the other variants in a future update.
Deborah Pickett

Posted: Mar 11, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Yes, you will need to update your time settings within your account settings whenever your time is adjusted forward or backwards an hour due to whatever plan your government has in place.

This week I *also* had to correct it because it was automatically changed by Toodledo due to the plan that Toodledo's government has in place. Is this expected behaviour?

If so, I will have to change my time zone on toodledo.com *four times* a year:
- Once in March when the US goes on DST.
- Once in April when Australia goes off DST.
- Once in October when Australia goes on DST.
- Once in November when the US goes off DST.

Of course, I can always make a repeating to-do item to remind me to log into Toodledo.com. But Toodledo, you should be aware that the current system is twice as inconvenient as you suggest.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 12, 2009
Hmm, yes you do have a point. I guess we'll have to research when all the different countries in the world do their DST and have Toodledo automatically compensate. This sounds like a big project, but we'll put it on our to-do list.

Thanks
Deborah Pickett

Posted by Toodledo:
I guess we'll have to research when all the different countries in the world do their DST and have Toodledo automatically compensate.

When you do this, I beg you to consider using the Olson timezone database (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoneinfo).

That database already knows the DST rules for almost all areas in the world, it's updated several times a year, and - this is the bit that roll-your-own DST rules never get right - it reflects historical DST rule changes, like the one that the US had in 2007. I figure that this latter point would be important to Toodledo where people want their To-do history to be maintained.

Best of all, it's public domain, so there's no ongoing maintenance cost once you have set it up.

we'll put it on our to-do list.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks. That saved us a lot of research.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.