ForumsQuestionsI suddenly have thousands of tasks!!

I suddenly have thousands of tasks!!
kcren

Posted: Oct 17, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
iOS 6, iPhone app, all was going well until...
I turned on Reminders Sync so I could import from Siri (delete on import ON).
Suddenly My last list ballooned from 214 tasks to 2217 tasks, and it is now unusable.

Where are all those tasks coming from, how do I remove them, and how do I prevent this for me and all our clients (we recommend and train people on Toodledo regularly).

- Kevin

P.S. I have an Exchange Server Email and Calendar account set up on my iPhone. It has Reminders turned on, mostly to support Calendar reminders. That Exchange account has some old emails and tasks in it with flags or reminders on them, and I wonder if ALL those tasks were suddenly imported into Toodledo? This is a dangerous feature and should have a warning on it. It could take me a long time to clean out the junk that was imported...
kcren

BTW, I have verified that I'm using the latest app store release.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you have your iPhone set to import Exchange into Reminders and then Reminders into Toodledo, then Toodledo will get all of the items that are in Exchange. Toodledo will have everything in it that Reminders does. I would suggest that you check the Reminders app and see what is in there before turning on syncing.

To get rid of the tasks, you can do an advanced search on the "date added" field and then do a multi-edit delete to get rid of them.
Purveyor

Posted by Jake:
If you have your iPhone set to import Exchange into Reminders and then Reminders into Toodledo, then Toodledo will get all of the items that are in Exchange.
Just to be more precise: You don't set your iPhone to "import Exchange into Reminders". You can configure your Exchange account on your iPhone to sync your Tasks with Reminders.

kcrenshaw, it's not enough to delete the tasks that were imported from Reminders. If that's all you do, the tasks will be imported into Toodledo again if you enable "Reminders Syncing".

On your iPhone, go to Settings, "Mail, Contacts, Calendar", select your Exchange account, and turn off Reminders. You'll get a warning about deleting all "Exchange ActiveSync reminders". It seems that you are not using Reminders with your Exchange account so it should be fine to delete them from your iPhone. They will remain on your Exchange server.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012.
kcren

Thank you.

However, this feature in your iPhone app needs a warning. You ought to be able to detect that this is going to happen by checking the Exchange account existence and then checking its import setting. If not, you should issue a generic warning.

The propooed fix doesn't allow for tasks I entered into Toodledo manually on this same date.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012.
Purveyor

I agree. There should be some type of warning.

As for cleaning up the mess, you can Star those tasks that you don't want to delete and then add "Starred = No" to your Search before running the Multi-Edit, and then un-Star the tasks. (Or you can use other ways of identifying those tasks, e.g. Tag, Priority, or a prefix added to the name.)
A lot of work for something that could have been avoided, but it is do-able.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 18, 2012
I agree that there should be a warning of some sort in the app when you are about to import a large amount of tasks. Some people will want this, others wont. I will look into this.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.