ForumsQuestionsWhy I cannot create sub-subtask????

Why I cannot create sub-subtask????
bin.wang

Posted: Dec 14, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Sometime I need create sub-tasks under an existed sub-task.

Do you provide this function or not? If don't, please add it.

Cheers
Salgud

Posted: Dec 14, 2012
Posted by bin.wang:
Sometime I need create sub-tasks under an existed sub-task.

Do you provide this function or not? If don't, please add it.

Cheers

This feature has been requested for a long time, many times. The reason given for why it hasn't been done is that there are already a lot of issues with subtasks and how to display them, and adding another level, or more, would severely exacerbate this problem.
stuarts28

Posted: Jan 11, 2013
Score: -1 Reference
That isn't a good reason though. It is just a technical challenge.

I returned to Toodledo just recently after over a year of not using it, and have to say that I am very disappointed that subtasks to subtasks hasn't been added.

The hard facts are that the only feature I wanted in Pro was subtasks. That's the only reason I ever upgraded.

I suspect that 90% of users on here are the same.

So it is disproportionately important to both the users, and the bottom line of the developers.

Subtasks is the only must-have for me. And not being able to do the logical thing of nesting tasks within tasks is just stupid.

Are there any other To-Do programs that offer subtasks to subtasks? It seems like a pretty basic requirement to me.

This program has been under development for YEARS. Come on. Hire some programmers! Fix the most obvious, glaring omission from the program.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 14, 2013
I have spend a fair amount of time reviewing, trying out, and actually using quite a few task managers. I don't recall ever seeing one with more task levels than TD until just last week. There is a new one, still in beta, called IQTELL, which I believe has more levels. I haven't tried that particular feature yet, so I don't know for sure. And by the way, it has a very steep learning curve, much steeper even than TD.

Also, I follow these forums quite closely, nearly every day, and I very much doubt that "90%" of the users are clamoring for this particular feature, though I admit, it is one of the more often requested ones. Beyond that, I don't believe that anyone on these forums can reasonably claim to represent "90%" of the users. It just doesn't work that way. We all represent ourselves and our own interests, which are often in conflict. However, I do believe that a large percentage of users here, though certainly less than 90%, believe that their particular need is the most important one.

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 14, 2013
There are several task managers that allow unlimited levels of subtasks. For example:

Web-based: Google Tasks
Windows: MyLifeOrganized
OS X: Omnifocus
iOS and Android: Todoist
M_ichel

Posted: Jan 15, 2013
Hi all.

Maybe the core question is what role a "task manager" should be expected to play...

What would be the difference between a task mgr vs a project mgr?

I admit it would be nice to keep all our projects, all their sub-projects, all the sub-projects' sub-projects and, finally, all the individual tasks in one place.

But is it realistic (or even desirable and practical) to want to do it all within the same program?

"Looking at projects" is more of a planning function, done periodically, and probably not on a daily basis. "Looking at tasks" is an execution function; I, for one, am looking at my list of tasks (those that I have selected for today) repeatedly during the day.

Do I need to have the ability to look at my projects at the same time, in the same tool? Not really.

Although, at the moment, I DO have all my projects (and the one level of sub-projects that Toodledo allows) and all their individual tasks in Toodledo. But I'm in the process of implementing GTD and I suspect that is going to change.

Let not Toodledo be a victim of Zawinski's Law of Software Envelopment! ("Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.")

Good day all.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.