ForumsQuestionsAbility to seoparate tasks or work on defined task collection

Ability to seoparate tasks or work on defined task collection
panel

Posted: Jan 02, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Common example is Live and Work separation.
I am talking about 'total split' so when I am at work I don't see live tasks and when i am at home I don't see work tasks.

Now you can create contexts or folders, but this limits the usage of other predefined views ex.
I could use folders, but this is poor choice because when I leave Folder view I still see all my tasks, so if I want to have total separations I must stop using other useful views like stared, hotlist etc.

As I see it at least two solutions are possible:
First is to allow to create more than one workspace per user
Second is more advanced and in my option better - allow to define 'filters' to display only task from predefined collection (Filter is kind of 'permanent search'). ex. user enables filter which allow to see only tasks from 'work' folder and this filter applies to all views, so I can use all toodledo features, but I am working only on selected collection of tasks instead of all tasks.
Redmine has similar feature and I must say it works very well.
Salgud

Have you tried using Saved Searches? They should solve your problem.Some of us rarely go outside the Saved Searches views.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Try using contexts and then using the context filter. This is the way we recommend.
panel

Posted: Jan 03, 2013
Posted by Salgud:
Have you tried using Saved Searches? They should solve your problem.Some of us rarely go outside the Saved Searches views.

What exactly do you mean by saved searches? I am saving search, selecting it, and when I open another view ex. calendar it's not working within 'search context'

Posted by Jake:
Try using contexts and then using the context filter. This is the way we recommend.

This is not an option for me at the moment because now I am using Brayans tracy ABCDE method (from the book Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time) and it's not quite compatible with toodledo, so I have to use kind of a hack - I use context as first priority (ABCDE) and priority field as secound.
At this time it's seems as the best solution although It would be nice to be able define custom fields and predefine values for the field

More about ABCDE
“A” stands for “very important;” something you must do. There can be serious negative consequences if you don’t do it.
“B” stands for “important;” something you should do. This is not as important as your ‘A’ tasks. There are only minor negative consequences if it is not completed.
“C” stands for things that are “nice to do;” but which are not as important as ‘A’ or ‘B,’ tasks. There are no negative consequences for not completing it.
“D” stands for “delegate.” You can assign this task to someone else who can do the job instead of you.
“E” stands for “eliminate, whenever possible.” You should eliminate every single activity you possibly can, to free up your time.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 03, 2013
Posted by panel:
Posted by Salgud:

What exactly do you mean by saved searches?

Saved Searches are custom searches that you've saved to your Saved Searches list to be re-used as needed. If you click on "Search" in the upper left hand corner of the web version, you'll see the list of Saved Searches down the left side. You can create your own to add to the list. You'll find detailed instructions in the Help screens under "Saved Searches". There are also lots of discussions in the forums on this topic.

I am saving search, selecting it, and when I open another view ex. calendar it's not working within 'search context'

What does "not working within 'search context' mean"? If you have created your searches correctly, they will work.

Posted by Jake:
Posted by Panel:

This is not an option for me at the moment because now I am using Brayans tracy ABCDE method (from the book Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time) and it's not quite compatible with toodledo, so I have to use kind of a hack - I use context as first priority (ABCDE) and priority field as secound.
At this time it's seems as the best solution although It would be nice to be able define custom fields and predefine values for the field

More about ABCDE
“A” stands for “very important;” something you must do. There can be serious negative consequences if you don’t do it.
“B” stands for “important;” something you should do. This is not as important as your ‘A’ tasks. There are only minor negative consequences if it is not completed.
“C” stands for things that are “nice to do;” but which are not as important as ‘A’ or ‘B,’ tasks. There are no negative consequences for not completing it.
“D” stands for “delegate.” You can assign this task to someone else who can do the job instead of you.
“E” stands for “eliminate, whenever possible.” You should eliminate every single activity you possibly can, to free up your time.

To make your system more compatible with TD, and not lose any fidelity, you could adapt those priorities to TD by simply assigning those same Tracy meanings to the 5 available priorities in TD.

Tracy system - TD
A (very important) - Top (3)
B (important) - High (2)
C (Nice to do) - Medium (1)
D (Delegate) - Low (0)
E (Eliminate) - Negative (-1)

Thus freeing up context for "Home" and "Work". The ABCDE are just labels, and don't have to be those exact symbols to represent the levels of your priorities. So don't think of the TD priorities as "Top", "High", etc. Think of them as "Very Important", "Important", and so forth. It would make your life much easier if you're going to use TD.

Remember, these numbers and letters are just symbols, not reality. One could use "Rhinocerous" for "Very Important", "Cabbage" for "Important", "Bureaucracy" for "Nice to Do" and so forth. IOW, "A" is no better a symbol for "Very Important" than "3" is. These are merely the set of symbols that Tracy chose for his/her system. You can choose any symbols you want, and you have a tool you've chosen that has a different but perfectly applicable set of symbols for the same parameter. So use those.

Best of luck adapting TD to your system, and adapting your system to use with TD.

This message was edited Jan 03, 2013.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.