ForumsQuestionsStart Date, Due Date, Repeat and postpone.

Start Date, Due Date, Repeat and postpone.
ykphuah

Posted: Aug 10, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Here's my use case. Every quarter, I will need to pay a bill. And I can only pay this bill on a Saturday. So what I do is to set the Due Date to the real Due Date, e.g. 1st July 2013, and Start Date to be on the Saturday before the Due Date, e.g. 29th June. Then set a Repeat for every Quarterly.

This is fine as long as I always pay on time. On some days, I missed. So let say I have forgotten to pay the bill on the 29th June, the next date for me to do so is 6th July. So I will usually adjust the Start Date to 6th of July, so that I don't get reminded about this task for the whole week, even though its already Overdue. The problem with this is that, when I finally completes this task, the Start Date gets moved to one week AFTER the Due Date on the next Quarter, and that's not what I want. I want the Start Date to always be a few days before the Due Date, as I have originally set it.

Is there any workarounds or hacks that I can do to accomplish what I want?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 12, 2013
I think what you are looking for is a way to edit a specific occurrence of a task and not have it affect the original repeating schedule. Unfortunately, this isn't the way that Toodledo currently works. My suggestion is to leave the task overdue and just try to ignore it for the 6 days that you can't do it. Alternatively, you can try to remember to edit the start-date back to the original date before you complete the overdue task.
ykphuah

Posted: Aug 13, 2013
Thanks!

I have followed the advice from another thread, that is to clone the task and remove the repeat field from the cloned task. Seems to work well for me.
cj

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of bizarre bills need to be paid on such a schedule. The only thing I can come up with is a weekly payment to the local mafia thugs (i.e. if you miss a payment that month, then they return next Saturday to collect… Or else ; )
ykphuah

Lol, I am in no way related to Mafia, let me explain this special bill.

Its called Maintenance Fees when we are staying in apartment/condos. So I asked them to bill me quarterly, so I will need to pay by the end of Jan, Apr, July, and Oct. (so I set the task to be due on 1st Feb, and then make it quarterly so it will be due on 1st May, 1st Aug, and 1st November).

The problem is, the only time convenient for me to pay them is on a Saturday, because my working hours coincide with theirs. (so I usually manually adjust the start date to be the Saturday right before the Due Date).

However, some Saturdays, I have other things to do and I can't pay. So I want to hide this task until the next Saturday. They charge very minimal interest for late payment so its not a big deal for me anyway.
cj

Posted: Aug 14, 2013
Three words: Online Bill Payment.
(so you can pay any time)

Even the Mafia accepts it these days.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.