ForumsQuestionsBest practice: Status for completed tasks?

Best practice: Status for completed tasks?
kleerkoat

Posted: Aug 12, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Curious what other users do for their completed tasks as far as status goes?

I'm finding that by setting tasks to different status's kind of confuses things. I only set it on my parent task and leave all the children at none.

I've started marking completed tasks as none unless they are canceled.

Thoughts?
alexandremrj_2

Hello,

because I have my completed tasks always hidden unless I specifically search for them, my tasks remain with their status, mostly due to needing to know which were completed by me "Next Actions", were completed by someone else "Waiting For" or "Delegated" or simply a "Reference" that served for something (reference that have no use are simply deleted).

I think it all boils down to what do you use your completed tasks for.
kleerkoat

Hmm, I wonder if maybe a request like the "unstar completed tasks" could add the functionality of setting fields to something upon completion as well?
Jason Bushell

Posted: Aug 13, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
It would be great if their status is just marked as completed.

On the rare occasion I do need to find an old task, its always a little confusing when its still marked as Next Action, or Active.
kleerkoat

Posted: Aug 13, 2013
Posted by Jason Bushell:
It would be great if their status is just marked as completed.

On the rare occasion I do need to find an old task, its always a little confusing when its still marked as Next Action, or Active.

Yes it is.
Disorganised

Posted: Aug 15, 2013
I use Ultimate To Do on Android and completed tasks don't belhave as completed tasts(eg it still shows up where it shouldn't in searches etc. Completed tasks should ONLY show up in the 'Completed tasks' section), so i just delete tasks as soon as they're completed

Otherwise, i think the most logical way is to assign it no status, as ahas been mentioned above.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2013.
DSM_2

Hmmm. It really sounds like Toodledo hasn't worked out the Use Cases for the features they have -- in this case, how things like completing a task should work together with the Status field.
kleerkoat

I hope the admins checked this thread.

DSM, you are right.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The checkbox and the "completed" status are redundant. We provide both options so that people can choose how they want to use it. We may add an option to automatically set the status to "completed" when you check off a task.
Jason Bushell

Posted: Aug 16, 2013
I do not see an option for Completed under the status field.

Do I have to enable it?
kleerkoat

Yeah, I don't understand?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I meant to say "canceled". Sorry.
kleerkoat

So checked off tasks get marked as canceled? tbh, I don't like the sound of that, but it's been like that forever I assume.
Jason Bushell

No, checked off tasks just get marked as checked off. The status doesnt change.

I guess its no big deal overall. Sometimes I look at a completed (checked off) task, and it has a status of something odd, like "waiting" or "planning" because I completed it without changing the status.

Since everything checked off no longer needs an action, auto-changing its status would make sense.

But its not urgent. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.