ForumsQuestionsTwo iCal/Google Calendar Questions

Two iCal/Google Calendar Questions
replytoken

Posted: Apr 06, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I tried searching the forum for answers to these two questions, but was not able to find the information that I was looking for. I am testing Toodledo in conjunction with Google's Calendar. I am also syncing the Google Calendar with the iPod Touch's native calendar via Nuevasync. And, I am also using Toodledo's App, but thankfully my two questions do not involve the iPod Touch.

First, I know that iCal is a daily one way sync, but I was not clear what gets updated or changed on the Google Calendar if changes are made to a task in Toodledo. For instance, if I change a task due date, it does not seem to change in Google the next day. But, if I delete a task in Toodledo, it does seem to delete from Google the next day. Can anybody tell me what changes are or are not pushed to Google?

Second, while my Toodledo account is set for my time zone, and my Google Calendar account is set for my time zone, my tasks seem to be carrying a time that is eight hours behind my time zone. It as if everything gets converted to GMT in the iCal synch process, but does not get converted back to my time zone, PST (GMT-8). I am running a few more tests on this problem, but it takes a day between any changes to reflect. Any thoughts or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It is a known issue that editing a due-date on Toodledo will not get reflected on Google Calendar. We publish the information instantly for Google to read (you can read the underlying iCal file if you want to see), but for some reason Google doesnt listen. Google Calendar has a history of bad support for iCal subscriptions. It's not just us.

This is the first time I have heard about there being an issue with timezones. We'll have to check on that.
replytoken

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry that Google is not supporting the iCal subscription. While it would be nice if it worked, it is good to know what is or is not supported so I can act accordingly, and know what to expect.

Regarding the time zone issue, I created a test task with a date and time in Toodledo of April 8 @ 2:00p.m. It is now in my Google calendar at April 8 @ 7:00a.m. I initially guessed this was a GMT related time as we are now on DST (actually PDT for my time zone), and that has moved us from GMT-8 to GMT-7, unless I am mistaken.

--Ken
frossie

Ken I have the same setup as you (Google cal, iphone, nuevasync etc) so I can try to see if I have the same problem (of course it will take 24 hours as I don't use due times usually so I have to make a test todo)

Do I understand correctly that
(a) In your Google timezones you have the correct time *and* some timezone (eg. PST)
(b) In toodledo you have the correct local time showing in your settings?
replytoken

Posted by frossie:
Do I understand correctly that
(a) In your Google timezones you have the correct time *and* some timezone (eg. PST)
(b) In toodledo you have the correct local time showing in your settings?

Thank you for trying to replicate this bug. In answer to your questions, the only setting in Google that I am aware of is the time zone setting in the calendar window. I am not aware of any time setting in Google. In Toodledo, I do have the correct local time showing.

--Ken
replytoken

I think that I may have figured out the problem. If I click on the settings on my Toodledo calendar on the left side of the screen, I am taken to a window that has a link to adjust settings on the Toodledo calendar. When I click on the link, the settings window opens up, but I have no ability to adjust the time zone on the Toodledo calendar which is showing GMT+00. I am assuming that I cannot adjust this setting because I am only subscribed to the calendar. If this assumption is correct, then how do I get the iCal feed from Toodledo to provide the data with the GMT-8 adjustment?

--Ken
Anders

This is strange. I am in GMT-5, and my google calendar Toodledo iCal feed also says it is at GMT+00:00. However, my tasks all appear to have the correct times on google calendar. I am using the "all others" iCal feed because I couldn't get the google-optimized one to work. I don't see how that could be the issue though because, as I said, in google my timezone is still listed wrong.
frossie

Ken - when I click on the Toodledo calendar in Google Cal, my timezone is correct (in my case "GMT-10 Hawaii Time") though you are right that it is not an editable field. Now I am trying to think how that was set, because toodledo doesn't know I am in HST (as far as I know - since I have never used the time field until today, my local time was wrong).

How did you subscribe to the toodledo calendar - was it with the "google optimised" ical field or the "other" address?
Anders

I don't want to get too confusing here, but I just noticed something else strange. I also use the other add Toodledo tasks to gcal option which creates check boxes on each day. The settings for that calendar in google say that my timezone is GMT-8:00, PST. So my iCal on google says GMT+0, my other Toodledo calendar says GMT-8:00, my actual time zone is GMT-5:00, and yet somehow, all of my tasks on both calendars seem to have the correct times!
Edit: Scratch that, recently created tasks show as the correct time if I click on the check boxes, but 4 hours early on the regular calendar(iCal feed). Still I don't know where the 4 hours is coming from, but it does sound like Ken's issue.

This message was edited Apr 06, 2009.
frossie

Ohhhh wait. Which calendar is Ken talking about? Because I only have the live iCal feed, not the tickbox gadget.
replytoken

Posted: Apr 07, 2009
Posted by frossie:
How did you subscribe to the toodledo calendar - was it with the "google optimised" ical field or the "other" address?

I believe that I subscribed with the Google optimized URL. I did a search at Google's calendar help and I found several posts that described the same problem. I do not have the URL's with me, but the titles of the questions were as follows:

"Imported calendars and evil time zones";
"Changing time zones on a particular calendar not working"; and,
"Time zone can not be changed"

There is a person who responded to these posts who seems to have some kind of handle on the problem, and his name is "tpuiatti". A search at Google Calendar's help on these topics should provide some useful reading.

--Ken
prm

I too have TIMZE ZONE issues with GOOGLE CALENDAR ICAL Live.
There is a time difference between TOODLEDO & GOOGLE CALENDAR.
Tasks have different timings on GOOGLE CALENDAR compared to TOODLEDO tasks.
I hope this will be resolved soon.
frossie

Just to say, my test event did sync with the correct time. So whatever the problem, it's not totally broken for everybody.
replytoken

Posted: Apr 09, 2009
I treid to used the different iCal links, but had no luck. I would like to see if I can feed a link to a Yahoo calendar, but my calendar does not seem to have a list of calendars on the left side of the screen (not unlike Google's calendar). If I could find a way to create a new calendar layer in Yahoo, I would try to paste the iCal link and see what results I get.

--Ken
koh

Posted: Apr 10, 2009
Same as Ken.
The time zone of toodledo(Live iCal) is not correct in my google calendar...("due time" is completely different from the one on Toodledo)

I'm using this in Japan.
Is this a problem of google in Japan?

ps
The multi-bite character problem as well... or dear...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We've got the iCal timezone and multi-byte UTF8 character encoding bugs fixed on our development server and are doing a little more testing before we make it live. Hopefully this weekend.
koh

Great!!

I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks,
Koh
kenbeyond

Posted: Apr 11, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
We've got the iCal timezone and multi-byte UTF8 character encoding bugs fixed on our development server and are doing a little more testing before we make it live. Hopefully this weekend.

That's great!
replytoken

Posted: Apr 12, 2009
Can you post to this thread when the code goes live?

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 13, 2009
We ran into some unexpected issues, so we were not able to launch this weekend. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. This is why we don't usually post timetables.

It will be out very soon.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.