ForumsQuestionsTextExpander Touch

TextExpander Touch
kenkcooper613

Posted: Sep 29, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
I've been using TextExpander Touch for iOS with Toodledo for iOS for over a year with no problem.

Recently I've noticed that the integration is no longer working. I've contacted the TextExpander folks and they've asked me to check on support from Toodledo. Any ideas if this should be working?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 30, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
When we had to submit our app to Apple for iOS7 compatibility, a bug in TextExpander was preventing our app from being approved. So, we disabled TextExpander support temporarily so that we could release our iOS7 compatibility update. Since then, we have already re-enabled and fixed TextExpander, so it will be back in the next update, which we are finishing up soon.
kenkcooper613

Posted: Sep 30, 2013
thanks! that's great to hear - I look forward to the update!
daniel_h

Posted: Oct 17, 2013
any news on this update?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 17, 2013
We are testing it to make sure it is perfect :)
daniel_h

Posted: Oct 30, 2013
sort of like waking up to presents, wrapped, but no permission to open them yet. can you believe that I am already seeing xmas ads on TV? this is sort of like that. I want my textexpander!!! LOL
daniel_h

Posted: Nov 14, 2013
ok, just installed the new release 3.2.1 (3506)
thanks for updates, but I still can't get textexpander touch to work in iPhone 5 with iOS 7. was this included in the update? if so, what settings do I need to check to ensure that it will work? thanks...
jmiller927

First thing I checked in the new release. Textexpander still not working for me either.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2013.
kenkcooper613

ditto, no textexpander for me either :(
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We tried to get text expander to work, but text expander appears to still have some iOS 7 bugs. In our testing, it crashed our app a lot and we couldn't find a way to get around it. We have an email out to the developers behind text expander to see what can be done about this and we hope to restore it in the future.
kleerkoat

Posted: Nov 15, 2013
what is it with ios7 that crippled text expander? a lot of devs are complaining about it also.
kenkcooper613

I contacted the textexpander folks. It seems that Apple has changed some things in iOS7 that forced them to make some changes. They have been able to get many apps updated, so I'm sure if the Toodledo folks and TextExpander folks work together it can be resolved. I'm just one person who would really like this feature back working again. Hopefully I'm not the only one.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You'll have to ask Text Expander what is wrong with their service. All I know is that when Text Expander is enabled, our app crashes any time a text expander snippet is activated.
kenkcooper613

regardless of whose fault this is, I am just a loyal user humbly asking you guys to get on the phone with each other and figure this out. I am no longer a programmer and I cannot be the middle man. I REALLY would appreciate it. Hopefully I'm not the only one.
daniel_h

Posted: Nov 16, 2013
Posted by Jake:
You'll have to ask Text Expander what is wrong with their service. All I know is that when Text Expander is enabled, our app crashes any time a text expander snippet is activated.

I did contact the folks at TE. In essence, apple quashed a way that some apps were abusing the previous way of using snippets (persistent pasteboard), and changed to a different scheme ("shared snippet" reminder). they said that they had been contacted by toodledo, but were not able to achieve a fix before this toodledo release. they told me they have been waiting for the toodledo developer to contact them again, as they had started to get some good diagnostic data before the debugging stopped last week. I sure hope this happens soon!

OR, give us an easy way to date/time stamp (with initials) in the note field of tasks. this is what I use TE Touch for, almost exclusively. in fact, when I asked years ago how to get time/date stamps in toodledo notes, the official answer was maybe someday, but in the meantime use a program like TextExpander. Please give us this functionality, one way or the other! thanks!!!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 18, 2013
We had to stop working on the TE issue so that we could wrap up our release and work on some more pressing issues (crashes). We will return to restoring TE in the future. We will probably wait for TE to release an update to their library before we try again.
kleerkoat

Posted: Nov 19, 2013
kind of not cool that TE shared that info about Toodledo not following up.
daniel_h

Posted: Dec 02, 2013
so SmileSoftware has officially released their new TE Touch app. I checked their current list of compatible apps - zero!

I'm officially bummed. is letting us time/date stamp entries in the notes field on the horizon?
kleerkoat

Posted: Dec 03, 2013
the dev's just need some time to incorporate the new SDK, it won't be long.
buckeyetex315

Posted: Dec 13, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Glad to hear that Toodledo is working on restoring the TextExpander functionality. Hopefully Apple won't keep changing the way iOS works. I really like using this app with Toodledo.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2013.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.