Unread posts

Announcement

Forums > Questions

Unique reference for tasks

AuthorMessage
TENE

Posted: Oct 14, 2013
Score: 0

Hi, is it possible to have a unique reference for each task? This is probably already there as a database field/value.

This would be useful when referring to tasks used in meetings or in a group of individuals.
Jake

Toodledo Admin

If you click on the action icon (circle with arrow inside) and select the "permanent link" option, it will open that task in a page all by itself. If you then look at the URL, the task's ID number will be listed.
TENE

Is it possible to display this value in a task list?
Jake

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Oct 15, 2013

It is not currently possible to do this.You could use the "tag" field and make your own unique ids if you need something like this.
hadstockmail-web

Posted: Oct 18, 2013

Posted by Jake:
It is not currently possible to do this.You could use the "tag" field and make your own unique ids if you need something like this.

Well thanks for the answer to a question that I also wanted answered. But I don't want to make my own ID's - I just want a Unique ID - any old one will do.

If I'm following you right using the TD ones would be a lot of work:
-action icon
-go to permanent link area of the URL box
-copy ID number
-paste in tag field.

Given that TD has already assigned a unique ID to each task (hooray - just what I wanted), couldn't it be an optional choice for the Tag field to AUTOMATICALLY display the ID?

I for one would switch on this option like a shot. And if the ID in the Tag box was a live link, then WOW ...
Jake

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Oct 18, 2013

Please don't take this personally, but having the unique ID appear in one of the columns feels like something that only a very very small number of people would find useful. Unless I am proved wrong in these forums, this is something that we are going to pass on. But I appreciate your enthusiasm for Toodledo. I hope that the current solutions will work for you.
hadstockmail-web

Posted: Oct 19, 2013

Jake
Thanks for prompt response. I take your point - we'll let democracy rule.

Re my enthusiasm for TD - you probably don't know the half of it! I'm a newcomer to TD itself, but I learned to program in the mid 1960s. I have for a long time now divided programs/apps into those that you KNOW it's worth looking for a feature or function because they're so well thought out, it's bound to be there somewhere; and those programs that you know it's not even worth calling up the Help pages to look.
TD is firmly in the first category - I was productive in just he way I wanted in ten minutes flat (apart from the ID field! and as you say there is a workaround)).
Keep it up - and thanks to all the team.
Chris
Salgud

Posted: Oct 21, 2013

Posted by hadstockmail-web:
I'm a newcomer to TD itself, but I learned to program in the mid 1960s.
Chris

Didn't know there were any others around. I wrote my first code in engineering school in 1966. Learned Fortran in 67. Been working with computers in one capacity or another since.
You cannot reply yet

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.

Toodledo Forums > Questions

Contact Us | Blog | API | Jobs | Press | Documentation | Forums Privacy | Terms | Copyright © 2004-2014