ForumsQuestionsAre forums dead?

Are forums dead?
Bartosz Gajek

Posted: May 07, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
So....are forums dead? I had big hopes up for those forums and it turns out people are not really interested in them.

Prove me wrong by mass replying to this thread :)

but seriously - No avatars, signatures and e-mails with notifications of replies/new posts can kill any forum because it gets inconvenient and boring.
kleerkoat

what do you mean?
TonyB

I actually think the Toodledo forums are reasonably busy, especially compared to the forums of other rival packages. There's a nice community feel here and I appreciate users offering advice to one another as well as developing helpful additions to Toodledo, for instance the new style sheet and the sync tool for Outlook.

I also like the fact that the Toodledo staff seem genuinely interested in user comments and respond quickly.

However, there are two things that could be improved with these forums - the ability to subscribe to topics and have email alerts for new posts. Also the ability to go to the first unread post in a thread, rather than having to scroll down or go to a new page.

Finally, I hate avatars and signatures - childish and pointless in my opinion, so I'm pleased that we don't have them here!
Jeremy

I think they are designed to fit the demographic: pragmatic, efficient, and democratic. Topics that have no interest by the group are left to die. Topics that have interest are quickly and efficiently handled.I would like more people to share best practices, but I figure that will come in time...
tarch

I think they are alive, well and appreciated.
Bartosz Gajek

Tips & Tricks last post 2 days ago
Time Management last post 6 days ago
Getting Things Done last post Apr 22, 2008
General Off Topic Chit-Chat Apr 28, 2008
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Our forums are still very new, but we feel like they have already been a big success. We have received a lot of good ideas that we plan on implementing, and it has helped alot of people get answers to their questions.

Not to mention the Outlook Sync and Alternate Stylesheet that would not have been possible without the forums.

Incidentally, I wanted to mention that you can go directly to the first unread post in a thread. All you need to do is click the orange icon adjacent to the topic's title.

Clearly, certain forums are more popular than others, and I think that is fine. The very fact that you received 5 replies to your question in under 4 hours says something positive about the activity level.

This message was edited May 07, 2008.
jdoree

The forums have been a big help to me on a number of occasions and I frequent them every day to see what people are discussing.

While features like email notification of new posts in a thread you are involved in, would be nice I would still check the forum regularly for new discussions.
J-Mac

It is nice to have a forum here at all.

That said, this is one of the poorest forum softwares I have seen, admittedly.

Upgrading to a more feature-filled and usable forum software - Invision Powerboard, SMB, or even phpBB in a pinch would be an improvement.

Jim
Bartosz Gajek

Posted: May 08, 2008
Hope I didn't upset anyone with my thread, because I meant no offence .
Qrystal

Posted: May 12, 2008
At first, I was a little unsure of whether the forums would work as well as the more "full-featured" ones, as J-Mac listed.

But now, I'm convinced that these forums are working well enough, and that's what's important.

I'd rather encourage the Toodledo folks to stick to the Toodledo issues and improvements, because really, that's what we're all here for, isn't it? :P
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.