ForumsQuestionsLinking Tasks by tasks that proceed another one?

Linking Tasks by tasks that proceed another one?
Benjamin

Posted: Apr 15, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I was wondering if you were planning on creating functionality that allows for one task preceding another. Right now, I've been using the "Waiting" status to designate this, but they are not linked. So if you click on one task and try to complete it, there would be some dialog or interface that would indicate that other tasks precede it and and need to be completed first. (Similar to Microsoft Project or a Gantt Chart in software project management). Please let me know. Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
Task dependencies is something that is on our to-do list.
Benjamin

Nice, I'm glad you're using your own To-Do list :-) Is it of medium importance or coming in a near-future release? Do you have a list of future releases and which features are for each list?
alexborne

Posted: Apr 16, 2009
being able to have the next dependant action automatically switched to status "next action" when the previous one is completed, would be a major improvement for me.
Claudio

Posted by all.hot.n.goewey:
Nice, I'm glad you're using your own To-Do list :-)
I notice you used a smilie, but I have a serious question for the Toodledo developers: Do you use Toodledo to track your tasks and your projects?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Do we use our own website? Of course we do!

When we use the auto-reply "Thanks for the suggestion", that's actually a button that we push which automatically adds the idea to our to-do list and links it back to the forum post for reference. Same thing with our support tickets. We are the biggest users of our own product.
Claudio

Well, I thought so.
How do you track task dependencies in Toodledo?
(Also, FWIW, how do you track projects?)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
For me, projects are folders.

And I don't really keep track of task dependency. If a task can't be worked on for whatever reason, I give it a "waiting" status. During my weekly review, I'll look at all the tasks that are "waiting" and if any of their prerequisites have been done, I'll remove the "waiting" status.

We know that people really want task dependency so that tasks are automatically hidden if they are dependent on another task, and we do plan to build this. For me, it is much faster and more efficient to manage this manually with a weekly review that it would be to record all the complex inter-relationships between all my tasks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.