ForumsQuestionsDaily Activity Journal

Daily Activity Journal
agueritz

Posted: Nov 26, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Many work items in my life take longer than a day to complete but it is really motivational to tick them off as they are done. However, they stick on my to-do list until they can truly be marked complete.

So I would really like to have a journal of activity on any day, which is a bit more detailed than just the history of completed tasks. I don't need a fully featured timesheet system, just the ability to record what I worked on in a particular day, and how long I worked on it.

I haven't found anything like this yet in Toodledo.

So it would be really neat if Toodledo had a couple of additional features:
1. to automatically record in a journal when you make changes to a particular task - like star/un-star and so on - with date / time etc
2. to manually add a comment and some other info to the daily journal (like the amount of time spent that day) for any specific task - this could also be associated with a specific status change or star/unstar
psailad

Hi! I cannot answer the first request but you can add notes to your task by clicking the little page symbol to the left of the task description and write notes there!
agueritz

Thanks, yes, I saw that. However, it is the historical trail that I am really interested in
Salgud

Notes?

This message was edited Nov 26, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Keeping a trail of what changes have been made to a task is something that is on our to-do list. Thanks for the suggestion.
daniel_h

Posted: Nov 28, 2013
while this is not "change tracking" as you suggest as a full feature, I do use the notes field as a running log. I put my notes in reverse chronological order (newest) at top, and time/date/initial stamp the entry. (I use initials so that I can tell which notes I have made and which my collaborating assistant has made).

unfortunately, there are two sight hinderances to this. since Toodledo does not have a time/date stamp in the notes field (even though they do in the "notes" section), I rely on a third party program: TextExpander. this works great, and does more than just this. however, since IOS 7, this has been broken on the iPhone app.

also, when clicking in the notes field on the web app, the cursor is (IMHO correctly) placed at the top of the note field. however, on the iOS app, the cursor is placed at the bottom of the field. the disparity makes choosing a uniform way of entering notes very inconvenient.
agueritz

Posted: Dec 06, 2013
I have used the Notes field in Outlook in a similar way to log stuff but you indeed have manually date stamp your entries. However, it is not as good as having a proper audit trail or journal. Outlook also lacks this feature so Toodledo would be one up on MS if implemented.

An extra neat feature would be to display the journal entries on the calendar view (in the past).

Whilst many people might snort at the idea of a "done enough for today" button on a task, I find it very therapeutic to mark something in that way as I clear down the list for the day, as I often have multi-day work items like that in my consulting life.

See here...http://www.sixhills-consulting.com/blog/2013/07/29/cool-not-cool/
in the section about Todo lists at the bottom of the post
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 06, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.