ForumsQuestionsSuggestion Needed: Want to assign log numbers to task

Suggestion Needed: Want to assign log numbers to task
kleerkoat

Posted: Apr 16, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm having trouble coming up with a reliable way to number tasks when I enter them so collaborators and find tasks by an ECO number instead of trying to interpret my task title.

I know I could just start the task with the number, but it would be hard to remember what the last task number was used. When I get an ECO in I add it as a task but I also want to write in an ECO number on the paper that coincides with Toodledo.

Theres a lot of bad grammar in this, sorry, in a rush. ;-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You could use the "tag" field to track the ECO number. This would be searchable and sortable.
kleerkoat

ok, I'll give that a shot, I'm afraid of reassigning the same number to 2 different ones, but I'm sure that I'll figure out a system to avoid this.

thanks for the quick reply, again, you guys/gals/humans/etc are the best.
Anders

Posted by Ryan:
ok, I'll give that a shot, I'm afraid of reassigning the same number to 2 different ones, but I'm sure that I'll figure out a system to avoid this.

Just a thought: you could set your Tag View to sort first by Tags (I do this anyway, it just makes sense). Then you could easily check for duplicates in the Any Tag tab. You could of course sort your Main, All Tasks view by Tag, but if you have a preferred way of sorting, it might be easier to use the Tag view since it can remember its own sort settings.
kleerkoat

Posted: Apr 17, 2009
Posted by Anders:
Posted by Ryan:

Just a thought: you could set your Tag View to sort first by Tags (I do this anyway, it just makes sense). Then you could easily check for duplicates in the Any Tag tab. You could of course sort your Main, All Tasks view by Tag, but if you have a preferred way of sorting, it might be easier to use the Tag view since it can remember its own sort settings.

Ok, I just tried that and I think this will work fine. Adds a couple of steps to adding tasks though, I don't fiddle much with the various sorting tabs, I mainly stay in Main view sorted by status, auto, auto.

I now very little about Databases, but would there be a field that could propogate from it's index number assigned by Toodledo behind the scenes.

I guess the ultimate wish would be a field added that would propagate automatically based on a user defined expression like a mass file renamer would.
Ron

Posted: Jul 28, 2009
I actually have the same need - it'd be nice if there was an ID number field in the task so that I could collaborate better with other people and identify tasks more easily. Tags would not realy work - you can't depend on humans or clients to create unique sequential numbers.

I know that internally there is an ID - I believe the API lets you see it. It'd be nice if the user had the option of displaying it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.