ForumsQuestionsGmail Chrome Plugin for Creating Tasks

Gmail Chrome Plugin for Creating Tasks
j.eggen

Posted: Mar 24, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I've looked at a lot of different services but keep coming back to Toodledo because of the configuration options and levels of details I can set in my tasks. One thing I saw elsewhere though that I wish Toodledo had was a plugin that allows me to create a task right from Gmail (appears above the reply window.) Or as a remind me option at the top of the Gmail window. You can see the two different options on these articles.
http://phandroid.com/2012/10/31/any-do-chrome-extension-now-allows-you-to-set-up-reminders-from-gmai l/
http://www.starkinsider.com/2013/02/any-do-android-app-review-gets-task-management-right.html

I also desperately wish Toodledo had a calendar mode but would love this Gmail Chrome extension for Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
This will allow you to make tasks from gmail messages: http://www.toodledo.com/tools/bookmarklet.php

We do have a calendar view that you can get to by clicking "calendar" on the left side of the task section.
j.eggen

I was not aware of the bookmarklet but now wish I had been for a long time. I haven't used it much yet but see how I will find it very useful.

I personally don't find the current calendar view very useful for a few reasons.
1) It isn't integrated with my calendar. I guess I'm used to using Pocket Informant which gives me an integrated calendar/task view and having used that system for about 8 years I've just fallen in love with it. It's my modified GTD to schedule when I will realistically start tasks. With a busy schedule it helps me not forget things but also not be stressed with a huge list of current tasks since I know I need to do XYZ but also know I don't really need to start on it until next week.
2) When I click on a date to view tasks and create a task from that view the dates are still based on the current date, not the selected date. Allowing me to click on a future date and then add tasks with the date selected in the calendar as the current date would make this view more user friendly IMHO.
3) Aside from #1 of creating an integrated task/event calendar just having a grid calendar that listed tasks in the days in the main view would be more helpful to me than the current setup. It's a lot easier to get an overview of the upcoming tasks and when things are scheduled/due to be able to look a month at a time and see what tasks are due when rather than clicking through individual days.

I've been with Toodledo as a subscriber since 2009 and still find it's the best service out there. I've been a fairly silent user but thought I'd share some opinions since I know sometimes user voices can be a helpful input for product development. I also know sometimes one person's ideas don't match product vision or the greater need of the community but still want to at least know I've shared my thoughts.
coolexplorer

Posted: Mar 25, 2014
Everyone uses a calendar to schedule events/tasks and quickly view them for month/week/day. Having a grid calendar that showed tasks titles within day boxes would be much more natural and intuitive than seeing dots or only agenda list style.

There would not be too much clutter as only tasks with due-dates would show, or only starred tasks with due dates.

This option would appeal to those who look for a more visual way of managing their tasks, and could bring in some fence-sitters and productivity gypsies.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but these are on our to-do list.

Thanks
j.eggen

Posted: Mar 26, 2014
Thanks Jake, I'll be excited to see some of those roll out whenever that happens.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.