ForumsQuestionsserach and subtasks

serach and subtasks
HansD

Posted: Apr 27, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Just defined a search:
- folder is A or folder is B

when searching I see all items I expect.

Next, "Toggle subtaks" and the subtaks are not shown: "Some subtasks are hidden because of your filters." (altough they where available before the toggle and they match the criteria.
Anders

What exactly is the question? I have some issues with subtasks and the search options myself, but I cannot tell what specifically is being asked about here.
If you are just wondering why subtasks would not be shown even though they match the criteria, I believe it is simply because filters trump search results, so if you nest them, unless the parent task is also in the search results, they would not appear.
Anders

Okay, I just realized that your search was for everything in two folders, so your parent tasks would have to match the same criteria.

I just checked, and I can change the Folder of a subtask so that it does not match the parent task. I know there have been a number of requests for subtasks to inherit some attributes of their parent. This seems like a field that should definitely be inherited although I don't want to infringe on the rights of others to customize.

@HansD: Sorry to be wordy. The problem is probably that you have subtasks in folders (or possibly "no folder")that do not match the folders of their parent tasks, thus the filtering acts as I described in my last post.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2009.
HansD

Nope, not quite. The subtasks are in the folder as specified by the search, and they come up nice when showing the flat tasks.
But on toggle the subtaks, they disappear, altough they math the filter criteria!

The parent tasks are also in the folder as specified by the search, appear on the flat layout and are the only tasks left when doing the toggle.
Anders

I'm stumped. What is your usual filter setting for subtasks (in Filters, not the toggle), flattened or nested?
HansD

Posted: Apr 28, 2009
By default I have the tasks flattened.
Steve

I have a similar problem. Let me try to simplify things...

I have 2 tasks that both have subtasks (everything in a single folder). Task 1 has subtasks with today as their due date, the same as their parent. Tasks 2's subtasks have no due date, but the parent has today. If I use the "due-date" tab and look at today's tasks, everything shows fine. Depending on the filter, Task 1's subtasks are either flattened or nested. Task 2's subtasks are always nested because they have no due date.

Now I try to do a saved search, which can be as simple as showing all tasks. Once you get into Saved Search world, there's no such thing as filters. If I try to un-nest Task 2, I get the message that some subtasks are hidden because of the filters, and I have to click on this to get them to display. Task 1's subtasks always initially display flattened (I have no choice). If I then click on Task 1's icon to nest the subtasks, I get the same problem as Task 1 - a warning that filters are stopping the display.

It seems as if there's a behind the scenes filter once you get into Saved Search mode that you have no control over. This is stopping the proper display of subtasks.

I'd really like this to be looked at, since it's ruining the usefulness of saved searches, which I rely on a lot.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
When you do a saved search, the subtasks must also match the search parameters. So, if you search for tasks due "today" it will show parents and subtasks due today and it will not show any subtasks that are not due-today.

On the search page, when it says "Some tasks are hidden due to your filters", it should say "Some tasks are hidden due to your search parameters". This is a bug that we need to fix.
Steve

Thanks for that. But it really doesn't explain my Task 1 case. The task and subtasks all are due today. They initially show flattened. If I click on the icon for the parent task to nest them, I'm back to the problem of getting the filter message.
Steve

Actually, it gets weirder! Even in my task 2 case (all subtasks have no due date), they DO appear without fuss if the subtasks have no context! My saved search sorts by context, if that makes any difference. So, if all subtasks have no due date and no context, they display fine when I click on the parent task icon, with no filter message saying they're hidden.
HansD

Posted: Apr 29, 2009
Hi, as indicated:
- The subtasks DO match the search criteria.
- The subtasks DO show up on the initial search (flattened subtasks)
- The subtasks are removed when nesting the tasks

Removing/hiding the subtasks that do match the criteria is the bug.
(in my case, my only criteria are: not checked or (folder A or folder B).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 29, 2009
I'll put this on our to-do list to investigate.
jiuyen

Posted: May 05, 2009
I am having the same issue as HansD in a very simple search: Checked off = No.

I tried adding an option to this search so that the string looks like (Checked off = No) and ((Is subtask = Yes) or (Is subtasks = No)) - but this didn't work either.

Just like HansD, when flattened, all tasks appear. If I try to toggle using the subtask toggle function, I get the filter message.
Steve

Posted: Jun 01, 2009
Just wondering if there's a timescale when this issue might get looked at. Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 02, 2009
We don't comment on timelines, but it is on our to-do list.
Steve

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
No problem - I understand. I'll keep an eye out...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 18, 2009
Ok, so I just set out to look into this one and I am unable to replicate the problem. Here is what I am trying.

1) Construct an advanced search that will contain both subtasks and parent tasks.
2) Click the "Toggle Subtasks" link

What I see happen, is that all of my subtasks get nested under the appropriate parent and the parent tasks are toggled open. Is this not what is happening for other people?

If anyone can provide a step-by-step list of a way to recreate this, that would be very helpful. Before and After screenshots would also be great. You can create a support ticket and attach these to the ticket.

Thanks
stephenmford

Cool, I think, I just reported this bug less than an hour ago.

I'll add screenshots to my ticket.

Stephen
stephenmford

Well my ticket says they see the cause of the bug and will work on a fix but I went ahead and uploaded some screen shots.

Stephen
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.