ForumsQuestionsUnable to complete tasks from mobile phone

Unable to complete tasks from mobile phone
Julia

Posted: May 11, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

When I go to www.toodledo.com/html/ from both my windows mobile 6 device using internet explorer (smartphone, no touchscreen,) and my treo 700p using blazer browser, I am able to view my tasks but unable to mark them as complete.

Is this a known bug or do I need to do something in account settings that I can't seem to find? Thanks.

Patrick

This message was edited May 11, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 12, 2008
It is probably an incompatibility with Windows Mobile 6 and our website. We have not tested our website with WM6, so we cannot be certain. As you can imagine, with the hundreds of different combinations of phone models, OSes and web browsers, it is very difficult to test our website in all of them. We'll see if we can locate a WM6 phone for testing.
Darius_1296933579

Posted: May 12, 2008
Great - thanks!
Julia

Posted: May 13, 2008
Hello,

I'm not sure what you did, but I wanted to give you an update that we are good on both platforms now. Thank you very much!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 13, 2008
Glad its working!
Darius_1296933579

Posted: May 20, 2008
Hello,

May have spoken too soon.

On Windows Mobile 6 Smartphone I can add tasks, go into detail on tasks, etc. But it appears the one thing I can't do is COMPLETE tasks.

Please take a look at this when you have a chance. For now, I guess I will supplement Toodledo when I'm mobile with printouts or something. :(

If any other Windows Mobile 6 users are having better luck with a different web browser, please let me know. Thanks.
TonyB

Posted: Jun 06, 2008
@ Toodledo -

I read somewhere on this forum that nobody in your company has a Windows Mobile 6 based phone, so it's difficult to test and develop the slim version of your software for thst platform.

I've just read (courtesy of the wonderful 'Life Hacker' website) that MS have released an emulator for Mobile 6 which enables you to test your mobile phone apps on your desktop and see if they work before going to the bother of installing them on your phone/PDA.

In case you haven't heard about this here's the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a6f6adaf-12e3-4b2f-a394-356e2c2fb114&Displa yLang=en

I have a vested interest in this as my phone runs Win Mobile 6!

This message was edited Jun 06, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 06, 2008
We saw that too and downloaded it already. We will definitely be taking a close look at it to see what we can do in a future update.

Thanks
festuswilliams

Posted: May 11, 2009
@Toodledo

You have a truly great product but it has been almost ONE YEAR since you said you'd look into the WM6 platform.

I don't want to get into that tired flaming war scenario but the iphone is not a particularly good phone...yet.

Is it beyond reason for you all to pool some money into buying a cheapo second hand wm6 phone? Hell, I'd be more than willing to put in. Please please please get yourselves into gear for the proper business phone users.

Thanks
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
@festuswilliams,
For WM6, you currently have 3 options:

1) Use the html only site: http://www.toodledo.com/html
That works fine on IE mobile, though not as well on Opera mobile.
Edit: I just realized that I have IE Mobile set to identify itelf as Mozilla/4.0, so that might make a difference if the HTML site is not working for others.

2) Download the Iris browser: http://www.torchmobile.com/
It works very well on the slim site: http://www.toodledo.com/slim
And also seems to work on the full site though I haven't tried everything out yet.

3) Download the Skyfire browser: This browsers works with Toodledo's full and slim sites, and just about any site (I use it to watch Hulu on my phone). It is not as good for Toodledo in my opinion because the rendering is accomplished on a server, not your device, so all your info is passing through someone elses computer. This makes it incredibly fast, but causes security concerns. You can find it here: http://www.skyfire.com/

Edit: I also just wanted to mention that the Iris browser, while not well known, is a pretty wicked browser. It is far better than IE mobile, and though not quite as touch-friendly as Opera Mobile, it is close. I downloaded it specifically to be able to use Toodledo, but it has become my most used browser. Also, both the browsers I mentioned are free.

This message was edited May 11, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I am sorry that we haven't made solid WM6 support yet. We have limited resources and the iPhone has the largest market share of smart phones, so that is where we have been putting our energy. We do still hope to improve our mobile support in the future.
Anders

Just a thought:
A potentially good solution for WM users who don't want to use the alternative browsers I have mentioned, and want more than the html only site, might be to create an Opera widget. The current beta release of Opera Mobile has added the capability to use the same widgets available for the desktop browser. So in addition to being useful for Opera users, a widget could also allow for Opera mobile users to access Toodledo. The best part is that Toodledo wouldn't even have to use Opera Mobile to make it since it could be an ordinary Opera widget.
Allen

Posted: May 12, 2009
Thanks, Anders! I am going to download Iris immediately. I really only use(d) IE for toodledo -- I love Skyfire but with toodledo just isn't as snappy as I'd like. Iris sounds just right.
Anders

Posted: May 13, 2009
FYI, if you are concerned about speed, which most WM users are, Iris has some really neat animations and effects (like links wobbling in and out when clicked). They are very cool but slow down browsing. You can turn them off. Look at the Iris FAQ if interested: http://www.torchmobile.com/products/faq/
dg

Posted: May 24, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
I am sorry that we haven't made solid WM6 support yet. We have limited resources and the iPhone has the largest market share of smart phones, so that is where we have been putting our energy. We do still hope to improve our mobile support in the future.

That's not what the stat's says....wm=27%....iphone=21%....

http://www.liveside.net/main/archive/2009/05/05/windows-mobile-2-smartphone-os-in-us-comscore.aspx
Anders

dave, good stats, but it really depends on how you want to break it down. WM (which is my phone OS BTW) is really two different OSs, standard and professional. Also, you didn't mention that those numbers show the (terrible IMO) blackberry OS is really number one.

Also, what is amazing is that iPhone is even that close when it is only available on 1 phone model, and the others are on dozens or hundreds. Finally, I don't know if they count iPod touch users since we are technically not using it as a "smartphone" OS, and there are a lot of us as well.

Anyway, I agree WM should be supported a little better, although I'm loving the Iris browser which is totally compatible. I hope we see an offline client someday (PI is already planning to add Toodledo support for WM).

~Anders
dg

Posted by Anders:
dave, good stats, but it really depends on how you want to break it down. WM (which is my phone OS BTW) is really two different OSs, standard and professional. Also, you didn't mention that those numbers show the (terrible IMO) blackberry OS is really number one.

The point I wanted to address was the perception by iPhone fans that iPhone dominates WM...that's why I cited that stat. And, btw, I think WM users might be more likely to use Toodle than iPhone users...if that speculative parsing of the data matters to the owners.

I didn't mention the BB dominance because it wasn't part of the previous converstation, but I believe that would double the importance for better portable/web interface to Toodledo since the BB browser is pretty simple, and although I used one a lot up until recently and it had the same problems as WM interfacing with Toodledo, I don't use one anymore and so can't check if that's still the case or not.

This message was edited May 24, 2009.
Anders

Posted by dave:
The point I wanted to address was the perception by iPhone fans that iPhone dominates WM...that's why I cited that stat.

LOL, I didn't realize that perception was out there. I believe you, but I just didn't realize that. My sister and brother in law are like that, but they say ridiculous things about the superiority of Apple all the time, so I just figured they were unusual. There are a of things to love about the iPhone (Yes, I only have an iPod, but I have lots of friends and family with iPhones), but it is nowhere near WM yet. They have had and continue to have incredible growth, and they may get there. But c'mon, do iPhone people really think that. One thing I will say is that the Apple touchscreen is absolutely amazing, mesmerizingly so really. When I go from my iPod to my Touch Pro, I feel like I have traveled back to the stone age. It is really that different.
And, btw, I think WM users might be more likely to use Toodle than iPhone users...if that speculative parsing of the data matters to the owners.

This is all speculation as well of course, but I don't know. With WM, there are a ton of options (Toodledo is still the best choice of course). I've used WM for years, and didn't run across Toodledo until I got my iPod. What you may not realize is that Toodledo pretty much owns online task syncing for the iPhone(there are something like 7 iPhone apps that sync with Toodledo, and several are among the best task apps available), and with the restrictions imposed by Apple on 3rd party apps(and no built in task manager!), online sync has been pretty much the only sync to this point.

~Anders

This message was edited May 24, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 25, 2009
WM support is difficult because there are tons of different phones with different capabilities that we would need to test and support. It is also much more difficult to develop for WM, from a technical point of view. We picked the iPhone because we have limited resources and Apple makes it really easy to develop for the iPhone. This is why they have 30,000+ apps. I don't know how many apps are available for WM, but I suspect it is much less even though it has been around much longer.
Anders

Posted: May 25, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
I don't know how many apps are available for WM, but I suspect it is much less even though it has been around much longer.

I'm not sure. There are a ton of WM apps out there. The problem is, as you alluded to, that you have to figure out which ones are compatible with your particular device, and sometimes to what degree they are compatible. I also think the number of Apps for iPhone is bloated. How many are ebooks, fart apps, and worthless collections of "celebrity" quotes? Still, Toodledo's points are quite valid, but I think there is a lot of utter garbage, and "apps" that would not be considered apps at all on another platform.

This message was edited May 25, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.