ForumsQuestionsAttachments

Attachments
kentpavelka

Posted: Aug 11, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I am a Gold subscriber. Attachments were working at one point but now I am having a problem. I can successfully attach a given document to a task but when I click on it, I am taken to a window asking me where I want to SAVE it. I don't want to SAVE it, I want to VIEW it. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 12, 2014
You cannot view attachments on Toodledo. Toodledo only stores them. To view an attachment you need to download it to your computer and then view it there.
kentpavelka

I seriously don't understand. I am supposed to download something to my computer that is already on my computer? Understand that I'm making the attachment from a file that is already on the Mac. When I attach a file to a Toodledo task, either by downloading from computer or by dragging a file, it creates a link. Then after that link shows up as an attachment on the Toodledo task, I click it and can't view it. (It wants me to save it again). This becomes a circular process, with no ability to view the attachment. Please explain what the process is in more detail.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2014.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Toodledo stores the file for you when you upload it and attach it to a task. You can delete the original file if you want. Whenever you want to view the file, you download it to your computer and open it. When you are done viewing it, you can delete it. Toodledo will keep it's copy.

If you only use 1 computer, then this may not be a big improvement for you, but if you use multiple computers or collaborate with other people, it can be very convenient for Toodledo to store the file and allow you to download it to any computer you or a collaborator happen to be on.
kentpavelka

Posted: Aug 13, 2014
So, please confirm my understanding of how it works.

To view the attachment, I click the attachment link I've created. I then download it to the computer EVERYTIME I want to view it. (Merely clicking the link attached to the Toodledo task does not allow me to view it.) To actually view it, I must go to where I have downloaded it (to downloads folder for example) and open it THERE to view it. I must do this every time I want to view the link. The new download remains on the computer unless I delete it.

Two questions/clarifications, please:

1. Seems like this is going to create a lot of clutter on the computer with those downloads remaining on the machine. I must delete the download each time if I want to remove it, correct? Won't all these downloads eat up a lot of space over time unless they are deleted?

2. Do you suggest a best place to download the links for viewing?

This message was edited Aug 13, 2014.
Purveyor

Some websites allow you to view some types of files within your browser, e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box and Evernote all let you view your photos and pdf files. This is because those websites have a "viewer" that can display those types of files within your browser. For various other types of files, you have to download and save the file first and then open it in whatever software was used to create it.

Toodledo does not have a viewer.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2014.
kentpavelka

Thanks, Purveyor. However, I really want to know if what I wrote is an accurate description of how it works for files I attach from my computer. Yes? No? I simply cannot be the first and only person who has attached a file and tried to open it, expecting to view it, by clicking the task attachment created.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You are correct with how it works. Each time you want to view the file you must download it to your computer and then view it there. Toodledo does not have an online viewer yet.

If there is a file that you are viewing frequently, it is probably better to just keep it on your computer and access it there to avoid cluttering up your downloads folder.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.