ForumsQuestionsAARRGGGH! Escape key lost my entries!

AARRGGGH! Escape key lost my entries!
M

Posted: Aug 19, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I was in multi-add mode, and had entered probably 8 new tasks -- stuff that was a brain dump, things I'd recorded on my phone that I wanted to remember to do. I pressed escape, for some reason -- and lost EVERYTHING! I use Toodledo because my memory sucks -- I will NOT be able to remember these tasks, now, and it's going to drive me batty.

Is there a way to prevent the escape key from exiting the screen when you're in ADD mode??
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 19, 2014
I am sorry this happened. If you have keyboard shortcuts enabled, the ESC key is equal to clicking the cancel button. If you don't want this, you can disable the keyboard shortcuts in your account settings.
M

Posted: Aug 24, 2014
Yeah, unfortunately I rely heavily on the keyboard shortcuts and, I believe, even checked them to see if ESC was listed as a shortcut. Didn't see it then, but I see it now. I'll just have to be more careful.
obetz

Posted: Feb 20, 2015
Now it happened also to me after complex editing of a note. I switched windows with Alt-Tab and by accident, the ESC keypress was received by the Toodledo browser window.

I lost lots of time, and I'm not amused!

BTW: My settings say "Keyboard Shortcuts Disabled".

But even with shortcuts enabled, ESC must not exit from a text edit window without confirmation. That's simply too dangerous.

I would appreciate also a warning if I try to leave an editing page e.g. by closing a browser tab. Other web applications can do so (e.g. my favourite Wiki warns me).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I am sorry that this happened. The ESC key will not cancel a note edit, even with keyboard shortcuts enabled. The only way this could happen that I know of is if you are editing a note and then abruptly close the window or quit the browser before allowing Toodledo to save the changes. I will look into the possibility of displaying a warning when there are unsaved changes and the browser window is closing.
obetz

ESC definitely cancels a note edit on my browsers (Firefox 35.0.1 and IE11, Windows), I just verified it.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2015.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Sorry, I thought you were talking about a task's note, not a note note. We really need to fix that ambiguous use of the word "note"

Yes, the ESC key will cancel editing a note note. We'll look into putting a confirmation prompt for that.
obetz

Posted: Feb 21, 2015
right, a task note is handled the opposite way: I can't discard any changes (besides using any "Undo" function in the browser).

And Toodledo closes the edit window (breaks the undo chain) rather early/often!

As you mention it, I remember many situations where I strongly disliked this behaviour.

Consider switching between two windows to copy/paste several entries: You can't simply hit Ctrl-C, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-V to transfer information from a text to a task note or vice versa.

And as mentioned ybove, you break the Undo chain and there is no "discard" option. If you did a wrong change and leave the Toodledo browser window by accident, you are out of luck: Toodledo stores immediately the wrong text.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 22, 2015
We plan to fix both of these things in a future update.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.