ForumsQuestionsUndo a delete?

Undo a delete?
Mike Thomas

Posted: May 05, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I could have sworn I did the exact same steps a day or so ago, with more desirable results...

I marked about 6 recurring tasks as completed in the iPhone app. I don't like the view being cluttered with completed tasks and could not find the "hide completed tasks" feature. So I deleted the "completed" tasks.

I believe that last time I did this (most likely through the browser), the next iteration of the tasks appeared (IOW a weekly task which was due yesterday is now due next Sunday). However I may be imagining that I did that.

This time I did it through the iPhone app and the next iteration of the tasks has not appeared. I even tried syncing and exiting/restarting the iPhone app.

Firstly, is there a way to undelete these tasks?

Secondly, what's the best way to keep the display clear of clutter from completed tasks?

Thanks ... Mike
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Mike Thomas:
Firstly, is there a way to undelete these tasks?

Unfortunately no.

Secondly, what's the best way to keep the display clear of clutter from completed tasks?

In your task list on the iPhone app tap the Filters button on the bottom-right. At the top of the filters menu are several options for completed tasks(hide/show recent/show all).

If I understand your post, you are saying that you deleted completed instances of repeating tasks, and now you are not getting the next repeats. I did not know that would happen. On Toodledo.com, are your repeating tasks there, or have they been deleted from both? Also, did you sync after completing these tasks, but before deleting them, or only after doing both?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you complete a repeating task on the iPhone and then delete the old version of the task and then do a sync, it will make the task no longer repeating. This is a bug that we hope to fix.

To get around this, you could either use the "hide completed tasks" filter as Anders has described, or you can sync your iPhone to Toodledo before deleting repeating tasks.
Mike Thomas

Anders - thanks, I see the filter and it works. My problem was trying to do this super-fast because I have already invested a lot of time converting to Toodledo thanks to trying to convert from PI on WM to PI on iPhone, but PI still isn't usable for my (perhaps unique) workflow.

To clarify, previously I did the following:
1) Mark complete in iPhone app
2) Delete the task in iPhone app (assuming the next iteration got created)
3) Notice that the next iteration of the task is not displayed and figure it's a display/refresh bug
4) Sync
5) Task gone in both places :-(

Toodledo - I just marked complete another 2-week repeating task in the iPhone app (due 5/6), and the next iteration of the task does not appear on 5/20 (or on any date). The marked-complete task still has a repeat and says:
Added on Apr 23, 2009 (probably correct)
Modified on May 3 (this is not today but maybe I did modify it on 5/3)
Completed on May 6 (incorrect, I completed it today May 5)

I have not yet synced after marking it complete, and I am not sure what to do next :-(

Thanks ... Mike

Edit: After syncing, the new iteration of the task is now visible on the iPhone (and the original one no longer has a repeat). Not sure if that is intentional behavior, but it makes it hard to keep up to date if you're off the net for a long period of time.

This message was edited May 05, 2009.
Anders

Posted: May 06, 2009
I could be wrong, but I think the idea is that you need to sync after marking the task complete for the next repeat of it to appear, and that you can't delete the completed version before that sync or you will break the repeat. Yes, that is probably not a good thing if you are offline for a while, but it seems like Toodledo has recognized this and plans to fix it.

The strangeness with the wrong completion date is another thing altogether. I notice that your post was just after midnight my time. Is it possible that it was after midnight when you checked the task off, or that your timezone is not correctly set?

This message was edited May 06, 2009.
Mike Thomas

Posted by Anders:
I could be wrong, but I think the idea is that you need to sync after marking the task complete for the next repeat of it to appear, and that you can't delete the completed version before that sync or you will break the repeat. Yes, that is probably not a good thing if you are offline for a while, but it seems like Toodledo has recognized this and plans to fix it.

Now that I have experienced the process (sync in order to see the next iteration) I can live with it. However, I now wonder whether this might explain the weird sync results I was seeing in PI (assuming the behavior is controlled on the Toodledo server rather than in the client). If so I hope Alex has already tripped over it and fixed it in 1.02.
The strangeness with the wrong completion date is another thing altogether. I notice that your post was just after midnight my time. Is it possible that it was after midnight when you checked the task off, or that your timezone is not correctly set?

It could be that when I completed the task it was past midnight at the server (not sure where it is located).

Mike
Anders

This may be completely incorrect, but I got the impression that with PI, repeating tasks created in PI and those created on Toodledo had different behaviors. If it was created on Toodledo, it would act like what you have described here for the Toodledo app, and if created in PI, PI would generate the new tasks itself.

For the completion date thing, I don't think it should matter where the server is as long as your timezone setting on Toodledo is correct.
Mike Thomas

Posted by Anders:
This may be completely incorrect, but I got the impression that with PI, repeating tasks created in PI and those created on Toodledo had different behaviors. If it was created on Toodledo, it would act like what you have described here for the Toodledo app, and if created in PI, PI would generate the new tasks itself.

I dunno, although that would be a recipe for disaster (my intention was to have Toodledo solely as a backup of my PI data, but then I discovered how easy Toodledo made it to manipulate tasks in the browser, so it would be desirable to be able to use both tools and get consistent results). I'll probably experiment again when 1.02 comes out and see if it has changed (I know they are adding more repeat rules to the UI, but not sure what else).

Posted by Anders:
For the completion date thing, I don't think it should matter where the server is as long as your timezone setting on Toodledo is correct.

Agreed. But I don't track completion dates (I know many power users do), so it's of no importance (to me).

This message was edited May 06, 2009.
Anders

Posted by Mike Thomas:
I dunno, although that would be a recipe for disaster (my intention was to have Toodledo solely as a backup of my PI data, but then I discovered how easy Toodledo made it to manipulate tasks in the browser, so it would be desirable to be able to use both tools and get consistent results). I'll probably experiment again when 1.02 comes out and see if it has changed (I know they are adding more repeat rules to the UI, but not sure what else).

As I said, I'm not sure if that's true, but I was definitely seeing some weird repeat behavior. I love the Calendar functions of PI, so I always have it ready to try out for tasks again. This update will have some much needed sorting capabilities, I believe, but until subtasks, due times, and a couple of other features are added, I can't use it as my main Task app, although it is nice to be able to quickly see them when looking at my calendars.

Agreed. But I don't track completion dates (I know many power users do), so it's of no importance (to me).

Me neither. I guess I'm not power. :(
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
Here is the nitty gritty details. In order for a task to repeat, someone has to reschedule it. Either Toodledo.com can do it, or the external device can do it. We don't know how all the various third-parties have decided to do it, but I'll tell you how we did it.

If you are using our iPhone app in stand-alone mode (not connected to a Toodledo.com account), then the iPhone will reschedule tasks. Obviously, because it isn't connected to the website. As soon as you link your iPhone to a Toodledo.com account, it will switch over to having the website reschedule tasks. What this means is that when you complete a task on the iPhone, it won't be rescheduled until you sync it. And if you delete the task before syncing, it wont ever get rescheduled. The reason why we do it this way is because there is a lot of complicated logic that goes on behind the scenes when rescheduling a task (especially if you are using subtasks) and we haven't yet ported this complicated logic over to the iPhone. We fully recognize this as a deficiency and hope to fix it in a future update.
Mike Thomas

Posted: May 07, 2009
Thanks for the explanation.

Mike
Anders

Posted: May 07, 2009
Yes, thanks for explaining. It makes sense.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.