ForumsQuestionsTasks and notes encryption

Tasks and notes encryption
Tee7

Posted: Oct 11, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
A previous post stated tasks and notes encryption was being worked on. I couldn't respond to it because it was locked due to age. Just wondering if that's still on track for this year? I know outline and lists already are encrypted.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 11, 2014
Tasks and notes data are not yet encrypted at rest because encrypting the data would prevent us from providing "search" capabilities which are an important part of Toodledo. In order to support encryption AND searching for text within tasks and notes we need to do a major redesign of how Toodledo works so that the search happens within your web browser after the data has been decrypted. This is something we plan to do, and have made some initial steps towards, but it is not a small project.

That said, Toodledo takes great care to protect your data. If you connect to Toodledo over an SSL connection, your data is encrypted as it is transmitted over the internet, which is the same security that you get from most websites right now. Encrypting data at rest is a growing trend, and certainly has value, but it is definitely not yet the norm. We are working in this direction.
Tee7

Posted: Oct 12, 2014
Thank you for the explanation. I have read that is also why emails (gmail, icloud, etc) are not encrypted. Been reading up on the security vs convenience tradeoff.
m_sheehan

Posted: Feb 14, 2015
I also consider encryption at rest a very important feature. Until today, I have been using the desktop version of TaskUnifier because I don't like putting my data in the cloud. However, upon finding out that TaskUnifier will no longer be supported, I am returning to Toodledo. I have long been impressed with your efforts to take good care of your customers and their data. And I am really grateful that you are encrypting outlines and lists.

While I can only imagine the tremendous amount of work that goes into designing and implementing a change to a core function like encrypting data at rest, I hope that you will continue moving toward providing that option with tasks also. THANK YOU in advance for your help.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.