ForumsQuestionsSearch in all fields

Search in all fields
ys_1412438839

Posted: Oct 14, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Dear sirs,

I've got following question/proposition: when I enter some word for Search, it should be searched in _all_ task fields, including _notes_ to tasks, now it being searched seems just in task names.

Thanks.
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Agreed, but it isn't going to happen, at least not in anything like "soon". The best workaround is to choose a view with the Notes fields exposed, then use your browser's Search This Page (ctrl F) function to do the search.

I have a couple of views I use especially for broad searches. One is called "All", and includes everything. I use it sparingly because it takes about 30 seconds to load. I also have a search for "Active", including all tasks with an "Active" or "Next Action" status, and a search called "Not Done", which, obviously, is everything not completed.

I use these rarely, but they're nice to have when I'm looking for that elusive task that has burrowed deep into my system and needs to be brought back into the light.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We plan to add global search capabilities in a future update, but as Salgud said it is unlikely that this will be "soon" since it is a major change.
sgreenblatt

Posted: Mar 23, 2015
Any update on this? It's important to be able to search in the Notes field by default (at a minimum).
Salgud

Posted: Mar 23, 2015
Doing a search in the Notes field is easily done in a regular Search.
CharleneTX

Posted: Mar 25, 2015
But this is not the same as a global search. There is no easy way to regularly search multiple fields (eg, tasks and notes).
Salgud

Posted: Mar 25, 2015
Depends on your definition of "easy". There is no one click Search across the database, as there should be. The "easiest" way that I know is to open a view showing all of the tasks you wish to search. I have a few in my Saved Searches for this purpose, like "All Active", which is everything not marked Completed or Canceled. I also have one called "All", which is all, including completed. I use this one rarely as it takes over 20 sec to load.

Once I have the view, if I want to search the Notes fields, I click on the Show Details button in the menubar to expose the notes. Then I do a Ctrl F, which opens the browser search box, and enter my search criteria. This will search all exposed fields, including task notes. 3 steps. Easy? To me, easy enough. To keyboard fanatics who save minutes a day by doing everything from the keyboard and actually imagine they are "saving time", it's an eternity. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.