ForumsQuestionsHow do you edit tasks?

How do you edit tasks?
HansD

Posted: May 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
with javascript a lot of magic can happen. Notes I dont want to edit in a single line (some notes are larger)
Tyler

Posted: Jun 01, 2009
Posted by arries12:
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately there are numerous fields that might need editing in a task- such as adding a reminder or setting a due time- but I don't want to clutter the task list with columns for every conceivable option. [...]

Being able to open a window (similar to what appears when adding a task) seems both necessary and intuitive, and exists in most other task programs. It would also be very easy to do, by including an optional column that would place "edit" icons next to each task, or simply having that be the default when you click a task's name (the other columns could remain drop-downs).

I agree with Arries -- I would like to be able to easily return to the original edit window for setting up a task.

Like Arries, I don't like having to see columns for every field -- but I would like to be able to set every field for a task if I feel like it. For example, I might not have due dates for most tasks, but only a few. So I don't want to see that column all the time -- but I would like to be able to edit the task and add a due date if I need to.

I like Arrie's idea about a simple edit icon on the task, which would open the original task setup window.

I also think the column issue could be solved by allowing users to show / hide columns. That way all features could be used, but they don't always have to be seen.

(It seems to me that regardless of which boxes are checked, the database retains the information, so it seems unnecessarily difficult for users to have to go in and re-check those boxes every time you'd like to see a different view of the information.)

Neither of these things seems like a drastic departure from the current UI, and I think they would add a tremendous amount of flexibility -- the thing everyone wants is to be able to slice up their data by different criteria easily.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 02, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
John G

Posted: Jun 08, 2009
I'm very new to the task management world and GTD, but as I complete some tasks there is information that I gathered in the task that I would like to keep associated with the task, e.g., "Measure table" - enter dimensions in task. So, I have not found a way to add a note (edit the task), as mentioned in this thread.

Another type of data may be contact information, account number, etc. that may be needed when completing the task, or gathered while doing the task.

Secondly, can you continue to show a completed subtask in the tree of a project? That way, it's easier to access the data from the "Measure Table" sub task.

Thanks

This message was edited Jun 08, 2009.
Anders

Posted by John G:
So, I have not found a way to add a note (edit the task), as mentioned in this thread.

Each task has an icon that looks like a piece of paper with a little green circle with a + on it (until it has a note and the icon looks like a piece of paper with writing). In Grid mode the Note icon is all the way to the right end, next to the trashcan if you have that enabled. In Multiline mode, you first have to either click the little arrow next to a task name to reveal its details and the add note icon, or click the "Toggle Details" button above your task list.

Another type of data may be contact information, account number, etc. that may be needed when completing the task, or gathered while doing the task.

The Notes section is good for that sort of thing as well, although Tags can also work depending on how you want to use the task-associated information.

Secondly, can you continue to show a completed subtask in the tree of a project?

If you click on "Filters" above your task list, and then click on "Show Recently Completed", you will be able to see recently completed tasks and subtasks.

~Anders
John G

Thanks for the assistance, on both questions - I did not even notice that in Grid mode that there was additional info off screen. :)

John
Anders

Posted by John G:
Thanks for the assistance, on both questions - I did not even notice that in Grid mode that there was additional info off screen. :)

John

FYI, you can add and remove fields you want to use in account settings. Also, you can edit the width and order of the columns in Grid mode by clicking the second icon after "Customize" above your task list.

~Anders
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.