ForumsQuestionsHow do you edit tasks?

How do you edit tasks?
arries12

Posted: May 07, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm sure I'm overlooking the blatantly obvious, but how do I edit tasks on toodledo.com? Clicking anywhere on the task only edits the field that is clicked. Is there any way to bring up that task & edit it? Thanks in advance!
Anders

I don't think there is any way to do what you are looking for, but I'm not sure what the point would be anyway. If you were able to bring up the task in a window like the one for adding a task, you would still have to go to each individual field to edit it, so it would really just add another step to the process.
Vin Thomas

Click on the first field you want to edit, then press "tab" to move to the next field. That will save you clicks.

Hope that helps!
arries12

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately there are numerous fields that might need editing in a task- such as adding a reminder or setting a due time- but I don't want to clutter the task list with columns for every conceivable option. I can't imagine this is the only option provided.

Being able to open a window (similar to what appears when adding a task) seems both necessary and intuitive, and exists in most other task programs. It would also be very easy to do, by including an optional column that would place "edit" icons next to each task, or simply having that be the default when you click a task's name (the other columns could remain drop-downs).
Anders

The thing is that the fields you enable in your account settings are not just the ones shown, but the only ones applied to your tasks. I like it this way, but others have made a number of requests for changes. Here is one of the threads on that topic, and you can find others:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1849/0/if-we-didnt-fill-in-a-field-for-a-task-dont-show-it.html
Anders

Posted by Vin Thomas:
Click on the first field you want to edit, then press "tab" to move to the next field. That will save you clicks.

And shift/tab now works for going backwards too, very handy.
Claudio

arries12, as a partial solution, you can change from "Grid" format to "Multi-line" by clicking on the icon to the left of the Print icon in the top right corner.
HansD

Yep, can see the added value of having an edit window like the task entry window. If only one a few fields need editing, the inline is perfect.
Switch to another view (like grid to mutli line) will break the flow, so a no go for me

Personally I would like to see a a one line edit box where I can use the email syntax, both for adding an editing.
Anders

A single box that could use the email syntax is a really cool idea. Even better if that box could be used for adding notes, reminders, and other things not supported by the syntax.
arries12

Thanks Claudio, I considered your suggestions, but in the multi-line view you can't see ANY details unless you expand each task, which is information overload.

I'm perplexed as to why this wasn't fixed in the first day of development, as there are numerous solutions that wouldn't conflict with existing functionality, and wouldn't confuse the UI any more than it is.

My search continues...
Anders

This may not be perfect for you either, but I just shift all the fields that I don't need in sight over to the right in grid view, offscreen. You can still easily access them that way, but don't have to have everything in your field of view.
Claudio

Posted by arries12:
Thanks Claudio, I considered your suggestions, but in the multi-line view you can't see ANY details unless you expand each task, which is information overload.
Well, I would say that it's a pain to have to click to expand each task, and it would be better if the first line had more than just one field, but I don't know why you say that it is "information overload". Which fields would you not want to edit?
HansD

@Anders,
anything that is not supported by the syntax must be fixed thus (so we can have it at both places)
arries12

For the benefit of the Toodledo folks, in case they read this:

I would usually ONLY use: priority, due date, and either tag or folder (I don't need two ways to sort types of tasks). The rest (especially start date & due time) would be on a case-by-case basis, and having all those columns visible all the time= clutter & inefficiency.

The ability to expand (to expose all options) would be great, but the multi-line view as written is useless- who wants to hide priority and due-date columns in a task program? Answer: someone on the development team at Toodledo (this is friendly criticism only, seriously guys & gals!)
Anders

Arris12, you certainly have some valid points, but there are inherent problems for anyone trying to develop a task management program. Many people are VERY picky and specific about what they want and how they want it, and those desires are rarely the same from one person to the next.

Toodledo has done an incredible job IMO of creating a system with extensive flexibility. Also, they will read your post. They read everything. You won't find developers more responsive to their customers, or more active in improving their product. You can keep looking, but I would bet you will not find anything that compares to Toodledo. If you do, then you got lucky, and found a program created by someone who likes to work exactly as you do, but I would guarantee, it wouldn't work for me or many of the other people who have come to Toodledo after trying a zillion inferior products. BTW, nothing wrong with constructive criticism, and I think everyone realizes that is what you are providing.
arries12

Thanks Anders, and I certainly hope the Toodledo team realizes it's constructive criticism. The goal in any UI is to maintain flexibility while keeping things simple, so that everyone gets it their own way without being overloaded. Bottom line is that this UI is redundant and a bit bloated.

For instance, why is there even the choice between a grid and multi-line view in the settings? The option to expand individual tasks (what they're calling multi-line view) is unassuming as the default option, in the form of a + sign to the right of each task name, or an arrow as it currently is. And those who like the grid view can already customize their columns and have as many as they want, or none (if they want to replicate the current multi-line view option).

IMHO, I shouldn't be explaining why this is necessary- they should be explaining what possible advantage the current arrangement provides. If you have to extend columns far to the right (& off your screen no less) to make it work for you, the UI has missed the mark.

Toodledoers: I'd love to email/chat/VTC with you and discuss in more detail, if you're interested. I'd rather be part of the solution than to simply complain.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 2 Reference
Yes, a lot of people (including us) would like the ability to use a field on occasion, but have it hidden during normal usage so that it doesn't clutter things up. We are trying to figure out how to do this in an intuitive way.

Thanks!
Anders

Posted by HansD:
@Anders,
anything that is not supported by the syntax must be fixed thus (so we can have it at both places)

Yes it would be great to have every available option accessible through the email syntax, but notes can be entered in the email body, so obviously no special syntax is needed. In a magic box like you described for the website, there would have to be some way of designating something to be entered in the notes field.
HansD

Posted: May 08, 2009
That would be a multine then (auto size or so) or a serate box (first showing 1-2 lines, when it has the focus it will expand some more). For a multiline: first line is the task, lines below would be the note
Anders

Posted: May 08, 2009
The problem with a multiline format for our hypothetical magic box is that it would take up too much space. I thought we wanted this for editing as well as adding tasks, so it would have to be on each task's line. It might be better to just let the notes be designated by their own special character, maybe one of these guys: ^, &, or |.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.