ForumsQuestionsNotebook import failed

Notebook import failed
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: May 13, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I needed to adjust the folders I was using for all my notebook notes. I had quite a few so I used excel to make the changes. 1) I added the new folders I wanted to start using. 2) I exported the entire notebook to a CSV file. 3) I deleted my notebook notes in Toodledo. 4) I adjusted the folders in the appropriate column in the excel file. 5) I saved it as a CSV file. 6) I imported it into Toodledo from the "Import Notes..." link on the Notebook page.

Toodledo showed the notes in a window and asked me to confirm. I clicked yes, and they appeared to be imported. But I find nothing in my notebook.

I didn't want to retry, lest I end up with duplicate entries (there's no way to delete large numbers--click, confirm, click, confirm). Should I retry, or is there another problem?
Anders

I can't find any problem with the .csv notes import, except the following, and this is more for Toodledo:

It always imports a note with the title, "Title", etc. as if it doesn't understand the .csv has a heading row, even if directly importing an export file.

@Brian,
It is difficult to try to guess what the problem is without seeing your .csv, or what the import screen looked like, but I would hazard it is most likely one of the following:

1)The formatting was changed to something that confused the import tool when you altered it in Excel.

2)The file was saved by excel as some non-.csv format like an excel spreadsheet, or some exotic kind of .csv.

3)The headings that you can choose from for what to import each column as where not properly set (for instance, make sure the actual column of notes has "note" chosen from the dropdown list).

I would say, if the notes aren't there, just try again. There is no reason they should appear after a delay. There had to be a problem with either the editing of the .csv, the save after editing, or the import itself. Definitly double check what Toodledo is importing each column as.

Edit: FYI, Brian's "1)" is unnecessary. Toodledo will recognize and create new Folders through import.

This message was edited May 13, 2009.
Claudio

Brian, if for some reason you end up with many duplicates, you can go to Account Setttings and, at the bottom of that page, you can delete all Notebook entries.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 14, 2009
Two suggestions.

1) Make sure you are using the notebook importer and not the task importer.
2) Make sure you pick headings at the top of the confirmation page before clicking save.

Hope that helps
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: May 14, 2009
I tried it again without modification and it worked fine. Thanks for the help.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.