Hi,

I am aware that I might be using Toodledo in an unconventional way, keeping
a lot of tasks as references with possibly long notes and managing them with
what might be an unusual high number of folders and goals. As years pass by,
the responsiveness of the site decreases, specially when switching to
Folder or Goal view.
You were mentioning at some point buffering, which in the case of redisplay
of tasks would be a perfect solutions. Is this something that has been
pursued or has some priority in your task lists ?

Best
Salgud

Posted: Jan 29, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by cyrilgodart:
Hi,

I am aware that I might be using Toodledo in an unconventional way, keeping
a lot of tasks as references with possibly long notes and managing them with
what might be an unusual high number of folders and goals. As years pass by,
the responsiveness of the site decreases, specially when switching to
Folder or Goal view.

You might consider changing how you use it rather than waiting (probably a very long time) for them to make changes. Have you tried keeping those reference notes in the Notes section, rather than storing them as tasks? The reason I suggest it is that they have virtually stopped work on the task management side of TD about 2 years ago in favor of making TD a Swiss Army Knife of apps with Lists, Outlines and Habits. The strategy, I believe, is that having a long list of features brings more new users than adding to the depth of task management features. It must be working, as they have been doing it for quite a while now, which doesn't bode well for those of us who want more task management features.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 29, 2015
Don't listen to Salgud :) We are still working on the tasks section and have made numerous improvements to it over the years. It is true that when you accumulate lots of tasks, folders, notes, etc that things can get slower. This is because all the stuff needs to be downloaded each time you change the page. We have plans to add some "caching" so that it can be quicker, but you may also want to look into making saved searches or using other smaller lists to make the pages load quicker. Or offline some of your older stuff to you computer if you don't need it anymore.
cyrilgodart

Posted: Feb 02, 2015
Hi Jake, Salgud,

Thanks for both replies.

I am relieved to hear that caching is still on the table.

I must say that Salgud is on to something about his comments. What made Toodledo
a bit daunting at the begining but so convincing after a while compared with say
Remember The Milk is the power and flexibility of Tasks Management, in particular
the search/filtering. The issue when you use Notes or other tabs is that you
lose the whole arsenal for a large part.

I use Toodledo as a timeline continuum. As tasks' dates become obsolete they become
references that I like to remember, search or filter in rigourously the same way. If
I need to take active action when a task cease to be in the future, it becomes unmanageable.
However caching is the perfect solution for this. We change very few tasks a day compared
with the ones we accumulate. The mobile web site was supposed to help from that point of view
with the automatic HTLM 5 off-line mechanism but somehow I have never managed to get used to
it.

Best
coolexplorer

Posted: Feb 03, 2015
Another option (for both complexity & speed) is to have a Windows and Mac Desktop application of TD. Unfortunately, I have not found the TD offline web site very appealing.

Advantages :
1. Local caching of ones database so that one can work offline (even if ones Wifi is acting up or on a limited plan)
2. Sync with the online program/database on a user defined Schedule
3. Option for users to opt out of some of the tabs (Notes, Outline, Lists, Habits, etc.) in order to have one responsive integrated database.

Eg. I find the Evernote desktop application more useful than its web based interface and use it throughout the day. Many Chrome Apps (Keep, Workflowy, etc) have now been made available offline as well.
Geoff Peters

Posted: Feb 21, 2015
I have been using TaskUnifier for this purpose, as an entirely offline task management app.
The developer has stopped supporting it, but as it is open source, I think I may contribute by fixing some bugs in it at some point. However I don't think I will keep maintaining its toodledo integration, as I am not allowed to put my work tasks into the cloud.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.