ForumsQuestionsToodledo on the Palm Pre

Toodledo on the Palm Pre
Beth

Posted: May 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Will an app be written for the Palm Pre? I'm chompin' at the bit for this phone?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 15, 2009
We don't have plans to make one, but hopefully there will be some third-party developer who wants to take a crack at it.
Joel

Posted: Jun 06, 2009
Just picked up mine. If they ever release the SDK I might take a stab at writing an app. The web view of the site is a bit hard to use and I can't stand the slim view as I don't have enough control over the filtering.
dfrank811

Posted: Jun 14, 2009
I would also love to see a Toodledo app for the Palm Pre
Joel

Posted: Jun 14, 2009
I plan on writing an app for TD when the SDK becomes available. Or sooner since the Pre has already been rooted and the sources to the Mojo framework made visible.
kaipaniolo

Posted: Jun 19, 2009
Another vote for Toodledo for Palm Pre, I just dumped RTM since they were not responsive to requests. As it ia, I'll just carry my iPod Touch around.
uday.kamath

Posted: Jun 23, 2009
I would purchase an app for the Pre that was implemented well!
kassabortho

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
I would buy this app in a heart beat. There is no good native todo app on the pre. Someone please get the td app done.
Joel

Posted: Jul 03, 2009
Just a quick update. I've started programming a client. I've put a screenshot of my progress at: http://www.evernote.com/pub/jjlucsy/toodledo
Note that I don't have much more done than what you actually see. It doesn't store anything yet. Hopefully that'll be next.
Anders

I really like your icons. Are they part of the Pre OS?
Joel

The icons in the list are part of a package I purchased from IconExperience. The circle ones at the bottom are standard in the Pre.
kaipaniolo

Posted: Jul 12, 2009
Even a way to sync with Palm Pre tasks would be GREAT
Anders

Posted: Jul 12, 2009
I could be wrong because I don't have one, but from what I have read, it seems that the only available means of syncing the Pre's task app is through an exchange server.
Jeff

Posted: Aug 24, 2009
In the meantime, any chance of making the slim version work with the Pre? It comes up very small. RememberTheMilk's iPhone version works like a champ on the Pre.

I like RTM, although Toodledo seems better. I'd switch, but until there is a mobile solution for the Pre (even if web-based), I'm going to have to stick to RTM.
Anders

The HTML-only site might look better than Slim: http://www.toodledo.com/html

Someone has created a small Pre app for adding tasks to Toodledo: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2748/0/taskadder-for-palm-pre.html

Another developer is creating a full task manager for Pre that will sync with Toodledo: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2365/0/client-for-the-palm-pre.html
Jeff

The HTML-only site looks no better. The letters are much too small to see and the links much too small to tap.

Like I said, RememberTheMilk has done a great job of having a web-based version that looks/works well (with a few minor annoyances) on the iPhone and Pre.

The key issue here is that you need to have the app sized to the iPhone/Pre screen (for the "slim" version).

There are plenty of iPhone/Pre web-based apps that look great, simply because the developer make sure that it was sized appropriately.

From what I'm seem of how it looks on an iPhone, I know you can do it. I think you just need to make a tweak to your code to do the same thing on the Pre.

As for a Pre-specific version, looks like the developer still has a while to go...

Until then, it would be great if you could fix this one problem with the slim version to make it display correctly.

If you'd like, I can send you a screen shot to show you what I mean.

Thanks.
Anders

Posted by squeffrey:
The HTML-only site looks no better. The letters are much too small to see and the links much too small to tap.

Are there any view settings that could improve the appearance on the Pre browser (like desktop vs. mobile view, etc.)?

The key issue here is that you need to have the app sized to the iPhone/Pre screen (for the "slim" version).

There are plenty of iPhone/Pre web-based apps that look great, simply because the developer make sure that it was sized appropriately.

The Slim site works perfectly on the iPhone browser (I believe that was what it was originally designed for). Unfortunately Toodledo does not have every kind of phone out there to do testing for every mobile browser. Every mobile browser is different, and just having it sized right for one, or some, doesn't mean it will look right every other.

The Pre is still fairly new, but certainly seems to be getting pretty popular. Perhaps Toodledo will have an opportunity to look into this, but I'm just not sure if it is possible unless someone wants to send them a Pre.
Jeff

Posted by Anders:
Are there any view settings that could improve the appearance on the Pre browser (like desktop vs. mobile view, etc.)?

No. It's like the iPhone, in that there is no such thing.

The Slim site works perfectly on the iPhone browser (I believe that was what it was originally designed for). Unfortunately Toodledo does not have every kind of phone out there to do testing for every mobile browser. Every mobile browser is different, and just having it sized right for one, or some, doesn't mean it will look right every other.

The Pre is still fairly new, but certainly seems to be getting pretty popular. Perhaps Toodledo will have an opportunity to look into this, but I'm just not sure if it is possible unless someone wants to send them a Pre.

This is not about needing a Pre, although I agree that for final testing that'd be right.

Both the iPhone and the Pre use webkit browsers. I believe that whoever wrote the iPhone version is explicitly looking for an iPhone. All they need to do is add the Pre's browser ID and it should work. In other words, it's not that it needs to have a different version for the Pre. It's that you need to NOT look for just an iPhone.

I'd be happy to provide testing for the developer, once this small change is made.

Just saying that RememberTheMilk worked perfectly for the Pre, the day the Pre was released. And they did NO work to make that happen. They just coded the iPhone version in such a way that it would work on webkit browsers, other than just the iPhone. Smart developers they have, I guess.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009.
Anders

I don't know enough to know whether that is true or not, but I can tell you that all WebKit browsers are not as similar as you would think. The Iris browser for WM works on Slim. The Mobile Safari browser works on iPhone. However with Symbian, it gets tricky. The default S60 browser does not work on Slim for everybody, but the S60 compatible Ozone browser does. They are both WebKit, and both running on the same platform, yet one works and the other does not.

If it is just a matter of identifying the type of browser when users go to the Slim site, perhaps you are right that it could be done (I know for instance, that the Ozone browser I mentioned above identifies itself as running on a Mac, and I think Iris does a sort of similar thing). In the meantime, you could look into whether the user agent string for the Pre browser is user-editable. I know you can do that on Windows Mobile. My WM phone identifies itself as running Firefox when I am actually using a regular WM browser.
Jeff

Posted by Anders:
In the meantime, you could look into whether the user agent string for the Pre browser is user-editable. I know you can do that on Windows Mobile. My WM phone identifies itself as running Firefox when I am actually using a regular WM browser.

Afraid not.

Like I said, the RTM folks managed to write something that works well, without even having ever seen a Pre. Ditto for several other sites that provide web-based iPhone apps and games.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.