ForumsQuestionsOutlook 2013 settings for all-day vs. "midnight" calendar entry?

Outlook 2013 settings for all-day vs. "midnight" calendar entry?
dave.jordan

Posted: Feb 26, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
I have Start Time and Due Time disabled in my Toodledo tasks and none of my tasks have times associated with them (as far as I know). I also do not use the Length field.

When I use the Events ICS feed to read my tasks into my Outlook 2013 on my work computer, all of the Toodledo tasks are showing up with a time of midnight rather than showing up as all-day events. I'd prefer them to read as all-day for visibility. According to the help text on the ICS feed configuration page, this is what is supposed to happen to tasks that have no times or Length information associated with them.

Interestingly, when I import this same feed into the calendar on my iPhone, the Toodledo items DO show up as all-day events.

Is anyone aware of any preferences/settings in Outlook 2013 that affect how the Outlook calendar interprets/displays ICS items with dates but no times associated? Toodledo support already confirmed that my account and data are OK on their end but they are Mac users so they don't have any testbed to play around with Outlook/Windows settings.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!!!
bengt.mansson

Posted: May 11, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Sadly it is a bug ignored by Toodledo, who seems to blame Outlook.

I spent a few minutes to test.

A test event imported from Toodledo into Outlook have this data:
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20150513
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20150513

An identical event exported from IOS have this data:
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20150513
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20150514
Re-exporting the first event from IOS also give the same data as the second one.

That date difference makes it appear as an all-day event instead of a zero-time event at midnight.

Maybe other calendars are more clever than Outlook to work-around format bugs at import but that is no excuse.
Clearly Toodledo should be able to export in the same way as other calendars.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 11, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
We'll look into this again.
dave.jordan

Posted: Jun 20, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I just re-tested this today using the ICS Live Events feed option.

Subscribed via Outlook 2013: tasks with Start or Due dates (but no times) show up as timed events at midnight on the day in question
Subscribed via Google Calendar: tasks with Start or Due dates (but no times) show up as all-day events
Subscribed via iOS Calendar: tasks with Start or Due dates (but no times) show up as all-day events

bengt mansson seems to have found the fix: Toodledo's export needs to show the DTEND;VALUE=DATE one day later than the DTSTART;VALUE=DATE to be interpreted correctly by Outlook, most likely
werpnst8

Posted: Jul 23, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Does anyone know if a solution to this has been implemented?

I'd prefer to use outlook sync because it refreshes manually and regularly, however having all events appear at midnight of the due date makes them unreadable on a computer screen. Google calendar won't update modified events and only syncs new events reliably, but at least the events show up as all day events making them visible on a calendar.

I guess I can add artificial times to all my due dates so that they'll be readable on my outlook calendar...but that's an added step I'd like to avoid.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.