ForumsQuestionsHiding tasks due less than one week in the future

Hiding tasks due less than one week in the future
Sven

Posted: May 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
From the official toodledo help pages:

If you use a due-date modifier and the task is more than 1 week in the future, it will also be hidden from your other lists unless you turn on the "Show Due in the Future" filter.

Is there a way to change this setting so that tasks due on tomorrow do not show up when viewing general lists such as all tasks?

I have a number of daily repeating tasks which become annoying when they show up as I'm browsing through all of my tasks.

Thanks!

This message was edited May 20, 2009.
Anders

Posted: May 20, 2009
You could use start dates (they would be identicalto due date for daily tasks). Then they wouldn't show up until the due/start date when hiding future tasks.
Proximo

Posted: May 21, 2009
I created a post with a suggestion to have repeating task change Status.

Keep as Planning until the due date and change to "Next Action" automatically.

I think this will be great.
Proximo

Posted by Anders:
You could use start dates (they would be identicalto due date for daily tasks). Then they wouldn't show up until the due/start date when hiding future tasks.

Is there a way to have a automatically repeated task only show up on the due date?

I am with Sven here. I hate to see my repeating task in my view. My GTD Weekly review is a repeating task, but even after I complete it, it stays there with a new date for next week. I don't want to see it at all until the due date.
Anders

I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post, or if you just don't want to use start dates. In case I was not clear earlier, you can put a start date on a task that is the same as its due date, and it will not show up until the due date then because it is also the start date. Sorry if you already gathered that, and I just misunderstood your post.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is not currently a way to adjust the "1 week" rule, but this will become a user-preference eventually.
Sven

Posted: May 23, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion, Anders.
Unfortunately, start dates don't tend to integrate well with the rest of my tasks, as I only ever organize by due date. For me it wouldn't be worth activating an additional field just to prevent these repeating tasks from showing up, so I'll just ignore them for now. Now I'm looking forward to this feature showing up in a future update. :)

Thanks again.
dan

Posted: May 23, 2009
Sven - I am pretty new to Toodledo, but I created and saved a search that does what you suggested - select with no completion date, and (no due date, or a due date on or before tomorrow) - and I think that will be my most common way of using toodledo. I can also sort it the way I want - priority major, then whatever other field you want - and it saves that as well.

I was testing another task manager (Remember the Milk) and they actually have the concept of a smart search, that looks just like another view - I ALMOST liked Toodledo's Importance field, but it did not quite do what I want - now this saved search seems to meet my needs.

Hope this helps.
Dan
Sven

Posted: May 26, 2009
This almost does what I need, but I can't view searches on my ipod's toodledo app.
I think the very best solution would be for toodledo to create something like a custom filter. This would be just like the current search option, but would also allow to save a search as a filter. That way, I could use all of my main views (all tasks, context, folder) with the addition of a filter that displays tasks to my liking.
I think this would solve a lot of issues by allowing customization to the point where every user can have tasks display how he or she would like.

Either way, I'll give your search suggestion a try.
Thanks!
Anders

Posted: May 26, 2009
Sven, just an idea. I am using Stars to create my own list that I cannot get with the regular views and filters. This may not work for you if you are concerned about Importance, etc., but if you are not using stars foe something else, that would be a list that would sync with iPhone. Also, as a saved search on Toodledo, you could use multiedit to star all tasks whenever you are on the site. You would of course have to add stars individually on the iPhone.

Edit: It just struck me you could do the same thing with a tag without altering your Importance.

~Anders

This message was edited May 26, 2009.
Sven

Posted: May 28, 2009
Wow, that's an excellent suggestion, thanks!
I don't think I'll use that simply to get rid of tasks < a week in the future, but this could come in handy...
Yay for toodledo's awesome community. :)

Sven
Sven

Posted: Jun 07, 2009
Anders - I have a question:
I tried adding start dates to my repeating tasks that were identical to the due dates. However, when I completed these tasks their start dates did not update to reflect the new due dates. Is there a way to automate this?

Sven
Sven

Posted: Jun 07, 2009
Ah, never mind.
I just went back to my to do list and experimented with this.
Everything is working correctly after all.
I don't know what I was doing that made me think the start dates weren't updating...
Sorry for the previous post.

Sven
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.