ForumsQuestionsRepeating tasks

Repeating tasks
Andrew

Posted: May 20, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I have a task that repeats every day, regardless of whether or not I do it or not. Comparable to daily math homework. Yet, even though I set it to repeat every day, it does not copy itself with a due date the day after until I complete the task.

Does this really make sense? If an 5-days overdue task is set to repeat every day (and NOT from completion date), shouldn't it be listed in your task list 5 times to signify the 5 times you need to do it? (once for each day overdue) I realize that they WILL appear once you start completing the overdue task, but then you have to complete them all in chronological order.

Maybe this can be fixed by offering a third option in the repeat pane.
Anders

Score: 0 Reference
If it's really the same task, then I feel like who needs to look at all those copies of it. One overdue occurrence is enough to tell me I need to get something done. Is this something that you really would have to do five times in such a situation? Math homework, for instance, if not done for a couple of days, could still be considered one task if you could sit down and get it all done. I guess my point is, if it is really a series of important, distinct tasks, then you are going to have to complete them all, and probably want to do them in order of most overdue first anyway. If they are not really distinct tasks once one or two are overdue, or you would not really have to complete the old versions, then maybe it is really an optional task (?), which would make the old occurences disappear so you only have to worry about the current one.

Anyway, maybe I'm missing something, and I certainly wouldn't mind if there were additional options for such things on Toodledo.
davek

Score: 2 Reference
Try the ? operator before the due date. (or use the <optionally on> on the date window). This will automagically move the task to the the next day if you don't do it today. Adding the repeat will copy it to tomorrow, when it's done today.

I have a number of tasks, that I do this with, as I want to track that I spent some effort on this on a given day.
Andrew

Posted: May 22, 2009
I can do that, but then they disappear if I don't do them. Some tasks repeat every day and need to be completed, not necessarily in chronological order.
davek

Do you have these tasks set to repeat?
According to
http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42

it should only disappear if you do not have repeat set.
Anders

From the help topic davek linked:
You can also designate a task as optional (abbreviated with a "?"). This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task.

They disappear after the due date whether or not they are repeating tasks. The only difference is that, if it is repeating, you will get the next occurrence generated which would not happen if an ordinary repeating task was not completed or was deleted.

Edit: BTW, davek, I think you misunderstood what Andrew is looking for. He wants present and future recurrences to show along side of overdue ones whether or not the previous one was completed. So when you miss a recurring task a couple of times, you would see all overdue versions as well as the upcoming one.

This message was edited May 23, 2009.
Andrew

Yeah, so I see this as kind of a missing functionality. It's not like...italic formatting in notes or something else trivial like that, it's something worthy of consideration.
Andrew

Posted: May 30, 2009
So no thoughts of change?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 01, 2009
The way repeating tasks work on Toodledo is that only one version of it exists at any time. When you complete it, it gets rescheduled and moved forward. If you make the task optional, it will be automatically moved forward if the due-date passes.

If you need to have a bunch of copies of the same task on every day, and have all the versions carry forward if you don't complete them, then you'll need to use our "add multiple tasks" option to quickly add them all as individual tasks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.