ForumsQuestionsToodledo runs slowly and locks up Firefox

Toodledo runs slowly and locks up Firefox
weaver

Posted: May 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have Toodledo Pro, a fast computer with plenty of RAM and a T1 and less than 200 tasks, yet TDo runs very slow when I have the full list showing and often locks up Firefox. Just adding a star to a task can take several minutes and/or freezes Firefox altogether.

Is this normal? What are my options to speed it up?
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Edit: First of all, make sure you have the latest version of Firefox running, and maybe check that Java is updated too.

This is definitely not normal. As a Pro user you may have Encryption enabled which slows everything down, but only very slightly, and it sounds like what you are experiencing is pretty significant.

First thing I would try is starting Firefox in Safe Mode. Often this sort of thing is related to an addon, and that disables all of them. If it is fast in Safe Mode, you will have to experiment disabling different extensions to find out which is the culprit.

Other things I would try:
Delete all your cookies
Delete all temporary internet files
Clear your download queue

I have heard of people just getting a bad install for one reason or another that causes slow browsing, and in the end they have to reinstall to fix it, but I would try everything else first.

~Anders

This message was edited May 20, 2009.
Michael

Posted by weaver:
I have Toodledo Pro, a fast computer with plenty of RAM and a T1 and less than 200 tasks, yet TDo runs very slow when I have the full list showing and often locks up Firefox.

Check your PC for malware and try running Firefox without any plugins, toolbars, and other junk. Also do not go to ANY other page. Firefox javascript engine is single threaded and one tab's or plugin's crazy JS will bring down all apps running in all tabs.

I would also try other browsers - try Chrome or IE or Safari if those are available on your platform. You can at least tell if it is your computer or browser.

For what its worth, I am running in FF and adding a star is near instantaneous.

-M
Proximo

Posted: May 21, 2009
Anders has a great suggestionshere. I had a similar situation with a different app. and pretty much did what Anders mentioned. There has only been one time in all the years I have used Firefox, where I had to install it again to correct it. Most of the time it can be fixed with a little organized trouble shooting.

This message was edited May 21, 2009.
weaver

Thanks for the advice.

I checked the version, and always delete all history, cookies, temp files and such when exiting.

Then I removed some addons and it seems to be fine now.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you could list which addons you removed, that would be very helpful for other people who are experiencing the same problem.
pmbarnes

Posted: May 25, 2009
I am also having a similar problem. Initial page load and any page refreshes will appear to load quickly, but the progress bar shows about 80% loaded, and on the lower left it says "Transferring data from www.toodledo.com". The cursor just spins away, and if I try to click the browser it will show "Not Responding". This goes on for about 45 seconds, then it breaks free and completes the load. This only happens in FF 3 (I have the latest v3.0.10). I disabled all add-ons, cleared my cache, etc. and the problem persists.
Anders

Posted: May 25, 2009
Strange. I have the latest FF as well and everything is running smoothly on Toodledo. The only other things I can think of are checking if Java is up to date and just reinstalling Firefox, but that is sort of an extreme measure, and I would try anything else you can think of first. Also try with Toodledo as the only tab opened if you have not already.
Michael

Posted: May 26, 2009
Posted by Anders:
The only other things I can think of are checking if Java is up to date

Out of curiosity - why Java? As far as I can see Toodledo does not use it.

-M
Anders

You may be correct, but I saw someone post that they had fixed some site errors by doing that once.
Edit: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2000/-9366/multi-criteria-search-problems.html
Different problem, but apparently fixed by updating Java. Still, you obviously know a lot more than I do about these things, so you may very well be right.

This message was edited May 26, 2009.
Michael

Posted by Anders:
You may be correct, but I saw someone post that they had fixed some site errors by doing that once.
Edit: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2000/-9366/multi-criteria-search-problems.html
Different problem, but apparently fixed by updating Java. Still, you obviously know a lot more than I do about these things, so you may very well be right.

That's odd. The error he is referring to in that thread is a JavaScript error - and despite the name, JavaScript (which is what TD is heavily written in) has nothing to do with Java. I am guessing there may have been other issue at play there. That said, it usually does not hurt to update everything. So why not update Java :-)

-M
pmbarnes

I uninstalled FF and reinstalled. The problem persists. I have all Add-Ons disabled. I have no idea what to do now. I did discover that it's ONLY on Vista. I checked Toodledo in FF 3 on my Mac partition (I run Vista in bootcamp) and it was fine.

I should add that I have been running ToodleDo in FF 3.x on Vista for a while now, but this problem has only surface in the last few weeks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We've gotten several of these reports about Firefox being slow, but as much as we try, we have been unable to replicate the problem on our computers. Without being able to replicate the problem it is nearly impossible for us to fix the problem, since we don't know what is going wrong.

It seems to be a very rare thing that only affects certain people. It seems to be FireFox 3.0.x only and it seems to be on Vista only. Other than that, we haven't noticed any other common characteristics.

A few people have reported that they were able to fix the problem, but unfortunately, they have never reported what they did to fix it, so we are still in the dark.

If you are experiencing the problem, please report here what actions you are taking on Toodledo to make it run slowly, what version of FF you are running, what OS you are using and which add-ons you have installed. Also, please check and report if other javascript heavy websites (gmail, for example) are running slowly too. The more information we have, the better we'll be able to help.

Thanks
Anders

Posted by pmbarnes:
I should add that I have been running ToodleDo in FF 3.x on Vista for a while now, but this problem has only surface in the last few weeks.

Just a thought, you could try rolling back to an older version of Firefox, from before you started having problems. It would be a temporary fix, but you could then wait and hopefully, if it is a Firefox thing, they may be aware of it, and have it fixed in a future build.

Also, have there been any big updates to Vista recently?

~Anders

This message was edited May 26, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.