ForumsQuestionsUsing ToodleDo with Notebook & ToDo in MacWorld

Using ToodleDo with Notebook & ToDo in MacWorld
rachelperry61

Posted: May 25, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
What's the best way to use all 3 apps, to support road warrior lifestyle? Or do I only need 1? Just switched from Palm Treo to iPhone & am trying to recreate ability to create/use GTD-like lists on phone that I can also use on iMac & Macbook & print out.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Its a matter of personal preference. Toodledo is flexible enough to suite many different styles. Im sure you'll get some suggestions from other Toodledo users.
Anders

Score: 1 Reference
Having the Toodledo and Todo apps is redundant. I have both, but that is only because I am having difficulty settling on one over the other. Which one is better really depends on your way of using Toodledo.

The Toodledo app has more support for the different Toodledo website fields, and also has better sorting, and filtering IMO with both more options and the ability to set them faster. All fields are called by the same name as they have on the website as well, so there is no confusion. The Toodledo app, in general, is more flexible. It also has a unique syncing mechanism where it automatically syncs when you open, and when you close the app which is very nice.

Appigo's Todo app is really polished, and is also a great app. It does not support all of Toodledo's fields. Todo has no Status, Goals, Start Time/Date, or Stars which really kills me because I need my stars. However, Todo makes up for its limitations with some really slick implementations of other features, and some unique capabilities that are not available with Toodledo. The biggest thing for me is subtasks which are handled incredibly well by Todo. It automatically turns tasks with subtasks under them into Projects, which is exactly how I use them myself. They also have another simplified use of subtasks to make checklists which can also be handy. The Toodledo app has subtasks, but they are not nearly as easy to use unless you flatten them which doesn't work for my system. Todo also has some nice specialized task types. You can have a phone call task that will have a link to directly call one of your contacts for instance. The Toodldo app will be able to do some of these things with their next update, but the implementation on Todo is pretty nicely done.

The Notebook app is something else completely. If you make a lot of notes that are not connected to a particular task (or at least not one you have created yet), it would probably be useful for you. The only connection between the notebook, and the tasks in the other two apps is that they both sync with Toodledo. The Todo app and the Notebook app can also send information back and forth (make a note a task, make a task a note), but that's it, and there is no reason why you couldn't use the Notebook app and the Toodledo app if that one feature of the Appigo apps is not important to you.

As for the GTD system, I really think Toodledo is better equipped for implementing that type of system, but neither is a straight up GTD app, both are really designed to be flexible for many types of systems. Some may actually like Todo better for this purpose because it actually uses GTD names like Project and Inbox which you will not find in Toodledo. For a GTD person, especially a Context focused one, you may also want to look into the newest Toodledo syncing app, called Action Lists. It has some shortcomings, but is really focused on being a true GTD client for syncing with Toodledo.

And of course no matter which app(s) you choose, you can use the website on your computers, and everything will be in sync. And you can print your Toodledo lists from "Booklet" in the left pane as I am sure you are aware.

I could go on, but I don't want to overwhelm you with information, especially if it not what you are looking for. Feel free to ask more specific questions, or clarify if I misunderstood your post.

~Anders

This message was edited May 25, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.