ForumsQuestionsShould subtasks inherit the context of their parent task?

Should subtasks inherit the context of their parent task?
Tim Gordon

Posted: May 27, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
When a subtask is specifically created as the subtask of a parent task which has a context assigned, should the subtask be created with the same context as the parent task?

In this scenario, the subtask inherits the folder of the parent task. This doesn't feel right to me, as I now have to assign a context to the subtask, which is usually the same as the parent task.

I can get around this using 'n' short-cut to create the task in the right context, but then it doesn't inherit the folder automatically.

I accept there may be other scenarios that I haven't considered, but I thought I'd post before submitting this as a ticket.

This message was edited May 27, 2009.
Anders

The option to have subtasks inherit some fields of their parent tasks is a popular request.
Edit: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1547/0/subtask-creation-and-attributes.html
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/781/0/subtask-inheritance.html
For me, inherited Folders make sense, but not Contexts because my subtasks are steps in a Project, and often have a variety of different Contexts. Anyway, it is a good idea, and hopefully Toodldo will get to it at some point.

~Anders

Anders

Posted by Tim Gordon:
I can get around this using 'n' short-cut to create the task in the right context, but then it doesn't inherit the folder automatically.

Are you sure about this? My subtasks take on the Folder of their parent regardless of where I create them, or whether I create them with "add subtask" or "add a task"(n) and then drag under the parent.

Jake

Toodledo Founder
We do plan on making an option for subtasks to inherit attributes of the parent, in a future update.
Tim Gordon

Posted: May 28, 2009
Thanks Toodledo for taking note.

Anders - I take your point about not always inheriting context since the whole point of GTD is to achieve an end result where multiple actions are potentially spread over different contexts. It is bit of a generalisation, I admit, but large tasks (usually work things for me) which need to get broken down into sub-tasks often need to primarily be carried out in one context (say @Office) with perhaps a few blockers that need to be pursued in other contexts (like @Agenda Boss).

It depends on your style of working, though. Lots of personal projects eg 'Car Maintenance' are probably going to involve a multitude of contexts.

It'll be nice when it's possible to configure optional attribute inheritance.
Anders

@Tim,
I can see where you are coming from, and I think another thing is that we use the Toodledo hierarchy a little differently. Another, somewhat unrelated, thing I have recently been considering is the use of multiple contexts. I don't really need them, but I think it would be handy. I wonder if anyone else feels the same way.

This message was edited May 28, 2009.
Claudio

Anders, I like the idea of multiple contexts, especially given the fuzzy nature of some of my contexts. I work at home and at my "other" office, and there's a lot of overlap (but not complete overlap) of what I can do at each location.

Also (this is from Llamagraphics Life Balance), there's the idea of "Any Context". For example, I can make calls from practically anywhere, so an important call could be in "Any Context" and would should up no matter how I've filtered Contexts. Likewise, reminders for self-improvement and motivation.
Vin Thomas

This seems odd to me since I use parent tasks as projects. Projects don't have contexts typically, so there would be nothing for the tasks to inherit. If TD was going to go this route, that is fine, but I would want to see a formal "project" property that would be able to get rid of the issue for those of us who use parent tasks as projects.
Anders

I'm with Vin on this one, but only as far as Contexts go. There are other fields I would love to have inherited by subtasks. Good call on the Projects as well. I would love to be able to divide folders into Projects, and then Projects into Tasks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.