ForumsQuestionsAutomatic status change for task with due dates

Automatic status change for task with due dates
Proximo

Posted: Jun 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I know we have a view for listing task by due dates, but it would be nice if the Status of any task due "Today", automatically change to a "Next Action" and be listed at the top.

I am just getting lazy with switching to due date mode and keeping up with the triggers that would keep my massive list of task in front of me.

Just wishful thinking here.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 03, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
Linden

Posted: Jun 04, 2009
How would this work with tasks that are waiting or postponed, or other sorts of statuses? Sometimes I have a project due, but it's waiting for input from others and they just can't have it ready by that initial date. It can be helpful to have that original date still in the system, but it would be misleading to have the task suddenly change status to appear like a next action.

The flexibility of Toodledo is a blessing and a curse in this instance. I can see why many people would find it helpful to have tasks due today become "next actions" -- especially if they were on hold specifically to become active that day. And yet surely I'm not the only person whose system would be broken by this behaviour...

It will be interesting to see how Toodledo developers incorporate the solution without breaking the flexibility. (While avoiding "option fatigue" brought up in another post.)
Anders

I would guess, if Toodledo were to add something like this, it would only apply to tasks with an active status.
Proximo

@Linden,

I am only suggesting this as an option and not a default function.

I have a very LONG list of task and I get so focused on my Next Actions and Top Priorities, that I sometimes don't check for lower priority task that are due on a particular day.

If I had this option as a check box or something. It would cause any task regardless of priority, to be toggled to a "Next Action" on the due date and get my attention.

I know I am lazy, but it never hurts to ask.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
In the mean time you could run a quick search for tasks due today and then use the multi-edit to set the status to next action for all items.

To speed it up you could save the search so the next day you just click the tab and do a quick modify search.

Not sure if you'd thought of this approach but I think it decent until something like you desire is put in.
Linden

Posted: Jun 05, 2009
@Proximo, I can support your call 100% if it's an option instead of a default function. I can definitely see the potential for it, especially in the situation you describe.

Nice idea, TheGriff -- those saved searches seem to be real lifesavers!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.