ForumsQuestionsStart Dates and recurring tasks

Start Dates and recurring tasks
Scott Forbes

Posted: May 18, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Let's say I have a recurring weekly task ("Put the trash bins by the curb") that I want to see in my "@Home" context only on Thursdays.

I can set up this task with a Due Date of "=May 22, 2008", which will keep it off my hotlist until the day it's due - but it still shows up in my "@Home" context all week, so that isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I can set a Start Date of "May 22, 2008", which does what I want for one week - but the following week, when the Due Date shifts to May 29th, the Start Date remains fixed at May 22nd.

I could go in and manually reset the Start Date every week, but is there a smarter way of doing what I'm trying to achieve? It seems like there ought to be a way to make the Start Date be a relative date, e.g. "Due Date minus one", or to make it move with the Due Date on a recurring task.
Scott Forbes

I should add that I'm trying to migrate from OmniFocus on the Mac (which is a great product, but I need a tool I can access from work), and that OmniFocus start dates move with the due date as described.
Darius_1296933579

I 100% agree with you that Start Date needs to be updated on the same schedule with Due Date for repeating tasks, and can't see a user having any reason not to want this to happen as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I sent this in as a feature request just today.

The introduction of the Start Date field (fantastic addition!) is just less than a week old, hopefully this is one of the hot items on development's todo list.

This message was edited May 18, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, we plan to make the start date move with the due-date for repeating tasks. To be perfectly honest, this totally slipped our mind when we made start-date, so thanks to everyone for pointing out this missing feature :) We'll get it added to the next update.
Julia

That's what I figured. ;)

Thanks for the update and thanks for an awesome product!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.