ForumsQuestionsRepeating item doesn't show up on future dates in Cal view

Repeating item doesn't show up on future dates in Cal view
oholymike

Posted: Nov 18, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I set up "Exercise" as a daily repeating task starting today (11/18). But when I click on the calendar view icon on the left (the one without the "31" on it) and look at future dates, it doesn't appear on any day except for today. Is there a way I can set it so I can see all the tasks that will be due on a given future day? Under the Filter eye icon, I've checked all three options under "Show on Calendar" (Due, Starting and In Progress are all checked), but it still only appears on today. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!
Adrien Beau

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. As far as I know, repeating tasks work this way: when you mark such a task complete, a new task is created with the same field values, except the due date, which is changed appropriately.
Salgud

Adrien is right, repeating tasks only show the next occurrence. The reasoning we have been given is that if they showed up at all occurrences going into the future, any long term view, like the Calendar, would get very cluttered and difficult to interpret. Makes sense to me, but, in other discussions on this topic, others have disagreed for the very reason you stated, Mike.

To compensate for this, When I plan my day, I keep in mind that I have "overhead" in my daily schedule, like tasks I do everyday that are just part of my routine. I also try to remember that I will most likely be interrupted at least a few times a day, if not more, and it is unrealistic to schedule more than 5 or 6 productive hours in a day. Since this is all so random and all my time estimates are pretty rough, I don't worry about scheduling down to the minute (or hour even), and have just learned to live with a fairly high degree of uncertainty in my daily schedule. Still, I understand that for those who are more OCD than me (I'm only somewhat OCD:), that this may be very difficult to accept.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There are two reasons why we only show the current version of a repeating task.

1) Your to-do list would be infinitely long if we showed every future version. We could cap it at a certain point, but it would still be cluttered with future versions that would cause confusion when you go to check it off and see 20 copies of the same task.

2) One of the options is to "repeat from completion date". Since we don't know when you are going to complete the task, we don't know when the next version is going to be, so it would be impossible for us to display the next version in these cases.

The fundamental issue here is that Toodledo is a "to-do list" not a "calendar" and this is one of those subtle behaviors that comes from this distinction.
oholymike

Posted: Nov 21, 2015
Thanks all for your replies. Disappointing news, but I appreciate knowing at least it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Just so I fully understand though: if I have a tasked called "Visit uncle Louie" set to repeat every fifth Thursday, it's impossible for me to look ahead and find out the next time I'm going to be doing that, correct?

This message was edited Nov 21, 2015.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Nov 23, 2015
You can see the next time (it is when that task is due), when you cannot see the time after that one.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 23, 2015
Yes, you can only see the next occurrence, not the occurrence 4 months from now. If this is something that you need, I suggest that you use a calendar app in conjunction with Toodledo.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.